news flash.......mosley bleeds from O-ring.

Old June 23rd 04, 09:02 PM
LaDonna Wyss

(Stuf4) wrote in message . com...
From Ami Silberman:
"Stuf4" wrote
You stated that AS-204 was not under military command or control. And
then you follow that up by acknowledging the fact that the flight crew
was military (I would note that it was not only "several", but *all*).

My point was that a military crew operating a vehicle *is* military
command and control. Gus was the military commander over his military
crew.

Not necessarily if they are operating that vehicle for a civilian agency.
They were military officers working for a civilian agency and following that
agencies rules.

(Elsewhere I voiced that military officers working for NASA are still
subject to the UCMJ.)

Now back to the real world...

A subtle example of a military crew exerting military command and
control:

Gus: Hey Ed, pass me that flashlight.

Ed: Here you go, Gus.

What if Ed asked Gus for the flashlight? Would that be an example of
insubordination?

Notice that in the example above, Gus is not asking. His is giving an
order. He is exercising his command authority over Ed.

And to answer your question, it is impossible for a subordinate to be
insubordinate just for making a request. Requesting (as opposed to
demanding) shows respect for a person's freedom of choice.

On that note, I'll add that the healthiest style of command is not to
command.

...in other words, even though you are in a position of authority over
a subordinate, you can still treat them with respect as an individual
human being.

One of my favorite examples of leadership comes from an Apollo 13
story. They are approaching the Moon. Jim Lovell is concerned with
preparing for a burn on the far side. His crewmates are preoccupied
with looking out the window and taking pictures.

Whereas some commanders might have a style of getting irate and
barking orders mixed with degrading remarks, Jim Lovell chooses to
smoothly prompt his crew:

"Gentleman, what are your intentions?" ...

~ CT

AMEN, CT!!! That's EXACTLY right. Unfortunately, the detractors in
here will come up with some reason why you are full-of-it. But you
are absolutely correct. It always amazes me when civilians think they
understand the military mind. They do not.
LaDonna
Old June 24th 04, 12:45 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:45:07 -0400, Scott Hedrick made the sensational claim that:
Which was also a great demonstration that a fighter need not be "sexy" in
order to do its job well. Let's face it, the F-117 is ugly as sin and, with
all those flat sides, is just plain "wrong".

Shame they're not still in production.

Shame it's not a fighter either.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old June 24th 04, 12:46 AM
LaDonna Wyss

Dave Michelson wrote in message news:PViCc.859869$oR5.503123@pd7tw3no...
Ami Silberman wrote:
"Stuf4" wrote in message

Ami,

Please stop arguing with CT. There's no way that he will ever back down from
his perverse amd perverted perspectives, and you're annoying the rest of us.

Either killfile him or ignore him. Your choice.

Ok, I'm curious: How is CT "perverse and perverted?"
Old June 24th 04, 12:47 AM
LaDonna Wyss

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message ...
"Stuf4" wrote in message
om...
I was saying that NASA took over military programs for human
spaceflight. NASA could have done their own, starting from scratch.
They didn't. The Mercury 7 could have been seven civilians. They
weren't.

There were plenty of civilians who, like military test pilots,
*already had their clearance*.

You know, putting these together does make me wonder why they didn't, in
their screening, at least look at the civilian high-performance test pilots,
at least for PR reasons. I can see why they didn't want open recruiting, and
I can see why they went with military test pilots (since sufficient records
existed for pre-screening), but I don't know why they didn't invite the
handful of obviously qualified civilians (like Armstrong, for example). I
suppose that it might be that, since they weren't active duty, they couldn't
be ordered to keep quiet about the selection procedure, but they could have
been fired if they blabbed I suppose. In that case, we probably would have
had the Mercury 8 -- 3 AF, 3 USN, 1 Marine, and a civilian.

Bringing it full circle (and restarting the war, no doubt): Perhaps
they were military because it was a military operation?
:-)
LaDonna
Old June 24th 04, 03:30 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
~ CT

you are full-of-it.

But you love him anyway. Careful- Betty might get jealous. Got any pet
rabbits?

Old June 24th 04, 03:31 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
How is CT "perverse and perverted?"

He talks to you. He might even look in the bedroom when you and Betty are
together.

Old June 24th 04, 03:32 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
Bringing it full circle

Trying to have an intelligent conversation with you is like flushing a
toilet- I'm wasting clean water flushing your posts away.

Old June 24th 04, 03:52 PM
LaDonna Wyss

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message .. .
"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
~ CT

you are full-of-it.

But you love him anyway. Careful- Betty might get jealous. Got any pet
rabbits?

You must really enjoy being dumb.
Old June 24th 04, 03:55 PM
LaDonna Wyss

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message . ..
"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
Bringing it full circle

Trying to have an intelligent conversation with you is like flushing a
toilet- I'm wasting clean water flushing your posts away.

Well, at least you're where you belong--the toilet.
Old June 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
You must really enjoy being dumb.

I have to get down to your level in order to read your posts.