Basic astro photography question

Old March 6th 04, 09:56 PM
Chris

Default Basic astro photography question

Hello all,

I have a basic astro photography question I though some of you may be able
to help me with.

I have recently bought a Canon G5 digital camera for general photography. As
it's got the facility to manually override shutter speed, aperture etc I
thought I would have a go at doing some basic astro photography (I'm not
expecting anything great, just a few shots of planets to begin with).

I can get fairly good results by just sticking the camera on a tripod and
taking shots but I'm keen to mount it on my telescope.

I've seen two types of mounts and wondered if anybody can pass on
experiences of using them, good or bad. Some example photos would also be
really useful (don't post them to the news group though as it's not a binary
group):

Firstly there is the bracket type of mount e.g. this one from telescope
house. http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/product.php?section id=5&subsection
id=29&product id=337

And secondly there are the adapters that enable your camera to screw
directly to an eyepiece like the "Adapt-T" from Astro Engineering
http://www.astro-engineering.com/ (although they don't seem to have an
adapter to fit my camera).

Any advice gratefully received,

Chris.

Old March 7th 04, 09:49 AM
Chris Jones

Hi Chris,

Same name, same camera :-)
I also have a G5 which is a great camera, but more difficult to attach to
telescope's to achieve good results. I tried it last night against my 2mb
Kodak DC3800 and that won hands down, albeit only handheld.
I cannot find much in UK for attaching the G5, but at www.scopetronics.com
they do have such a beast in the Maxview-40, if anyone has tried one of
these please respond, as I think I am going for this one, with the adaptor
it comes in at $189, but with the current £ to $ that's about £100, but
you'll get hit by customs for approx £30..if you have a friend or relative
in the states then that's easier. Luckily my sister lives in LA, so its
pretty good.

Chris

Old March 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Chris

Thanks, that's interesting (but a little expensive).
There are plenty of good photos on the scopetronix website using the
Maxview/Digi-T (and a couple using the G5). There's also a $89 option there
for an adapter to connect to common eyepieces (just the Digi-T I think).

It looks like BC&F astro engineering's system (adap-T) is similar and
cheaper but they have not got around to making an adapter that connects the
part that fits to the eyepiece to a G5. I wrote to them a few days ago
asking for some advice but nothing yet.

cheers,

Chris