DOB color?

Old September 26th 16, 06:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default DOB color?

Any preference what color DOB telescope to buy, black, white, blue, red ?
Seems they all come in different colors, made in the same Chines factory!
Old September 26th 16, 06:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
Any preference what color DOB telescope to buy, black, white, blue, red ?
Seems they all come in different colors, made in the same Chines factory!

I find black better in a light polluted site. I don't think it matters
otherwise,
(I have a black Newtonian and a dark blue Meade mak).
My newer black Newtonian is easier to use than my old white one in my light
polluted garden.

Old September 26th 16, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 10:52:05 AM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:

Any preference what color DOB telescope to buy, black, white, blue, red ?
Seems they all come in different colors, made in the same Chines factory!

I find black better in a light polluted site. I don't think it matters
otherwise,
(I have a black Newtonian and a dark blue Meade mak).
My newer black Newtonian is easier to use than my old white one in my light
polluted garden.

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people can trip over the scope!
Old September 26th 16, 08:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 10:52:05 AM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:

Any preference what color DOB telescope to buy, black, white, blue, red ?
Seems they all come in different colors, made in the same Chines factory!

I find black better in a light polluted site. I don't think it matters
otherwise,
(I have a black Newtonian and a dark blue Meade mak).
My newer black Newtonian is easier to use than my old white one in my light
polluted garden.

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people
can trip over the scope!

Maybe but it would be easy to but a couple of day-glo or yellow bands fixed
with Velcro around the tube of a dark scope.

Old September 26th 16, 08:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:17:52 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people can trip over the scope!

No one will ever trip over my scope. Run into it, maybe, but not trip over it...

http://www.astromart.com/images/clas...9/529198-2.jpg
Old September 26th 16, 08:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 12:47:30 PM UTC-7, palsing wrote:
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:17:52 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people can trip over the scope!

No one will ever trip over my scope. Run into it, maybe, but not trip over it...

http://www.astromart.com/images/clas...9/529198-2.jpg

I've seen, wind flip over big dobs like that!
Old September 26th 16, 10:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 12:52:12 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 12:47:30 PM UTC-7, palsing wrote:
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:17:52 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people can trip over the scope!

No one will ever trip over my scope. Run into it, maybe, but not trip over it...

http://www.astromart.com/images/clas...9/529198-2.jpg

I've seen, wind flip over big dobs like that!

Me, too, maybe a dozen times.

I drilled a 1/4" hole through the altitude bearings and into the rocker box, when the telescope was horizontal, parallel to the ground. Then, when shutting down for the night, I drop a big nail into the hole, thus locking it in that position. I allow it to 'weathervane' freely in any wind that might be blowing, but it has never blown over.

The big dobs that flip over are always the ones that are left horizontal but are not locked down. When they get blasted by a big gust of wind, they get blown from horizontal to vertical very quickly, sometimes hard enough to jerk them right out of the rockerbox.

Some lessons are harder than others :)
Old September 27th 16, 06:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:47:30 UTC+2, palsing wrote:
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:17:52 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

For dark site, black maybe a disadvantage, I think! Hard to see, people can trip over the scope!

No one will ever trip over my scope. Run into it, maybe, but not trip over it...

http://www.astromart.com/images/clas...9/529198-2.jpg

For some reason the ground tarp reminded me of German tourist's habit of claiming an area of beach as occupied, with a towel. ;-)

Beautiful telescope! :-)
Old September 27th 16, 04:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 1:18:58 PM UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
Any preference what color DOB telescope to buy, black, white, blue, red ?
Seems they all come in different colors, made in the same Chines factory!

Black would tend to radiate heat more effectively, leading to slightly faster cool down, AEBE. Cover the scope with reflective material during daylight hours if it's left outdoors.

Color Martin[_9_] Astronomy Misc 3 October 13th 11 11:00 PM
Pick a Color. Any Color. Davoud[_1_] Amateur Astronomy 2 October 21st 10 10:25 PM
ASTRO: And yet again a M27 in color (my very first color image!) DvandenH Astro Pictures 10 September 21st 07 10:23 PM
M42 in color Fred Scharmann Amateur Astronomy 64 March 19th 06 05:45 AM
MWBR 2.71 K linked to color Color of the Universe is silverywhite like the element plutonium (JohnsHopkins) Archimedes Plutonium Astronomy Misc 3 March 25th 04 07:17 AM