NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy - The Washington Post

Old June 24th 12, 08:54 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy - The Washington Post

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

bob haller wrote:

is there any way to service hubble without the shuttle?

No.

I realize when dealing with Bob that sometimes absolutes are better.

That said, I believe the last servicing mission did add a docking target and
grapple.

So in theory a manned dragon with the full size cargo area MIGHT be able to
do something.

I think consumables (cycling the air, etc.) would be the biggest headache.

That said, I can't see NASA going for any servicing mission at this point.

once manned dragon is operational? manned dragon docked to a bigelow
station with a arm?

By then Hubble will be history.

Unfortunately I agree. But who knows, we might get lucky.

Old June 25th 12, 01:43 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
. ..

bob haller wrote:

is there any way to service hubble without the shuttle?

No.

I realize when dealing with Bob that sometimes absolutes are better.

That said, I believe the last servicing mission did add a docking target
and
grapple.

The total purpose of that was to allow them to robotically dock a
deorbit engine to it.

Agreed. I should have been clear about its intended purpose. My point was
that it allows docking and could be used for other purposes.

I mostly agree with all that. I think it would be very, very
difficult to put together a servicing mission and I don't think NASA
has the will.

The only real way it would happen is if SpaceX put enough pressure on NASA
and the politicos to make the resulting embarrassment worse if they don't do
anything. I could see SpaceX offering to do some sort of maintenance
mission free or at a discount, just to build some street cred.

It certainly couldn't be a complex one and I don't know how complicated
replacing a control gyro is. If it's simple enough, I could see SpaceX
trying to get the job done and then performing a reboost.

But, the timing before Hubble dies would mean a helluva tough sell.