mplm long term on station

Old October 27th 09, 09:12 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default mplm long term on station

Well it seems this is indeed going to be done. I heard it on the European
press event the other day.

They will leave one after the Shuttle retires, apparently.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old October 27th 09, 06:02 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well it seems this is indeed going to be done. I heard it on the European
press event the other day.

They will leave one after the Shuttle retires, apparently.

I figured they would. it will be curious to see how many of the systems are
modified for long term usage, or if NASA will get around the problem another
way (like keeping the hatches closed most of the time and using it only for
storage).

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old October 28th 09, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Jeff Findley wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well it seems this is indeed going to be done. I heard it on the
European press event the other day.

They will leave one after the Shuttle retires, apparently.

I figured they would. it will be curious to see how many of the systems
are modified for long term usage, or if NASA will get around the problem
another way (like keeping the hatches closed most of the time and using
it only for storage).

The former.

Some news reports were saying that ESA wanted to do this and pay for it
earlier in the year, but back then NASA was saying "no". Something changed
their collective mind.

Jeff

Old October 29th 09, 03:34 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:56:14 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

Some news reports were saying that ESA wanted to do this and pay for it
earlier in the year, but back then NASA was saying "no". Something changed
their collective mind.

That something was probably adding STS-134 (AMS) to the manifest,
officially. Gave them one more flight and the ability to relax the
mass requirements for the last MPLM flight, buying the weight needed
for MPLM mods for long-term use.

Brian
Old November 27th 09, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

wrote:
Some news reports were saying that ESA wanted to do this and pay for it
earlier in the year, but back then NASA was saying "no". *Something changed
their collective mind.

That something was probably adding STS-134 (AMS) to the manifest,
officially. Gave them one more flight and the ability to relax the
mass requirements for the last MPLM flight, buying the weight needed
for MPLM mods for long-term use.

Post landing press conference touched on this -- micrometeorite
shields have been removed to allow Kevlar blankets to be added
underneath them. Some internal systems might be removed to offset the
weight penalty of the blankets. Doors expected to be left open (as
Jorge mentioned).

/dps