"'Telescope of the future' puts focus on KU"

Old January 13th 05, 03:03 AM
matt

Paul,

It is the same guys this time .
K.U. is on this project with some other university partners including a
private company that is actually Peter Chen and Romeo . Not having any
inside information, it looks as if Chen and Romeo are just chasing project
funding and grant money from whatever sources they can manage to further
their technology .

best regards,
matt tudor

"Astro-nut" wrote in message
oups.com...
Extremely light weight, collapsable (yes... you read that correctly)
carbon fiber replication mirrors have been around for a while.

In his 2001 presentation at Stellafane, Dr. Peter Chen shared the
results of the technology at that time. He was then working on a 52"
primary that weighed in at 27 pounds. Up to 50 mirrors could be made
between cleanings of the precision mandrils:

http://www.astro-nut.com/stchen.html
Cheers,

Paul

--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

Old January 13th 05, 09:09 AM

Mike Maxwell wrote:
An article at http://www.ljworld.com/section/kunews/story/192798

talks
about a prototype telescope whose mirror is made of composites. The

16"
telescope (unclear exactly what they're talking about, but it appears

include the mirror, some kind of mirror mount, and the truss tube,

all
in what I take to be a Cassegrain configuration) weighs 20 pounds.

It
was built by Kansas University, San Diego State University, Dartmouth

College, and Composite Mirror Applications in Tucson.

Apparently it's a prototype for larger telescopes--the next one will

be
a one meter mirror. But if someone started making this sort of
telescope for amateurs... Of course, I suppose the cost of materials

would outweight (sorry for the pun) any savings from the construction

method.

the theory is quite sound. I have seen a few of their interferograms.
the process needs some work but it is getting there. In theory 1/10
wave optics could be produced on GSO/synta scales. the cost of
materials would be considerably less than pyrex. even if the materials
and labour were to cost more you would still be able to justify the
expense of a lighter telescope. for one it is more convenient and
portable. for another you will save thousands of dollars on a mount. A
G11 will hold that tube as solid as a paramount will hold a glass 16".
in other words, even if the OTA costs $9000 more it will be offset by
the mount savings.
Ian Anderson
www.customopticalsystems.com

Old January 14th 05, 07:10 PM
Mike Maxwell

Astro-nut wrote:
In his 2001 presentation at Stellafane, Dr. Peter Chen shared the
results of the technology at that time. He was then working on a 52"
primary that weighed in at 27 pounds. Up to 50 mirrors could be made
between cleanings of the precision mandrils:

I presume the mandrils give you a mirror that is roughly the right
shape, then you have to figure it? They can't give you an accurate
figure without post-processing, can they?

Mike Maxwell
Old January 14th 05, 11:27 PM
Paul Hyndman

Nope... the mandrills produce a fully polished/figured optic. Up to fifty of
them between cleanings, then you can run off another batch with the same
mandrill!

Paul

--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

Old March 21st 05, 06:11 AM
George Normandin

"Mike Maxwell" wrote

BTW, while the original was a Cass, I don't suppose there's any problem in
principle with using a composite mirror in a Newtonian, in which case a
Dob mount should be feasible.......

Mike,

A few years ago I saw a guy at Stellafane with a home-made (mirrors and
all) 16-inch F/8 RC Cass that was on a Dob style mount. It had a third flat
mirror that sent the light out through the center of the altitude bearing
where the focuser was mounted. The observer sat in a chair to use it and of
course the eyepiece never changed height off the ground. I suppose that if
it had a 'GoTo' drive the observer could sit on the mount and go along for
the ride!

George Normandin