Evening apparition of Mercury

Old April 20th 15, 09:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default Evening apparition of Mercury

Mike Collins wrote:
I went out this evening in a futile attempt to observe Mercury with the
naked eye.
I failed ( it was only 4 degrees high at sunset).
However I was treated to a magnificent Norfolk sunset reminding me of the
sunsets I saw at Uluru last year. A little the darkening sky had a
beautiful view of Orion Sirius and Venus and still it was light enough to
walk home without a torch.
The best chance to see Mercury should be on Sunday when it will be close to
a slim crescent Moon at sunset.

Sunday was cloudy but this evening was clear. Mercury was easily visible
using 10x50 binoculars but only intermittently to the naked eye.
The sunset was magnificent again with Venus and a slim crescent moon. The
photo below taken with an iPhone5 doesn't do justice to the subtle colours.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126942096@N08/
Old April 21st 15, 12:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 20 April 2015 16:46:29 UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
I went out this evening in a futile attempt to observe Mercury with the
naked eye.
I failed ( it was only 4 degrees high at sunset).
However I was treated to a magnificent Norfolk sunset reminding me of the
sunsets I saw at Uluru last year. A little the darkening sky had a
beautiful view of Orion Sirius and Venus and still it was light enough to
walk home without a torch.
The best chance to see Mercury should be on Sunday when it will be close to
a slim crescent Moon at sunset.

Sunday was cloudy but this evening was clear. Mercury was easily visible
using 10x50 binoculars but only intermittently to the naked eye.
The sunset was magnificent again with Venus and a slim crescent moon. The
photo below taken with an iPhone5 doesn't do justice to the subtle colours.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126942096@N08/

Why not just like to the exact photo? Don't really need to showcase your whole page here.
Old April 21st 15, 08:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Because I got it wrong.
I couldn't open my Google web album so I had to use Flickr which I don't
like.

Venus and Moon at sunset (Wymondham)

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GG...o/IMG_1433.JPG

Mercury (just) through 10x50 eyepiece.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ql...o/IMG_1436.JPG
Old April 21st 15, 09:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Tuesday, 21 April 2015 01:57:04 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

Why not just like [link?] to the exact photo? Don't really need to showcase your whole page here.

I thought it an excellent selection of images.

Certainly not overwhelming in number and all of high quality.

What's your beef? Lack of personal talent with a camera?

Or just being the selfish, miserable git we have come to know so well?

You're not Snell as well are you?

Two dried peas in a withered pod.
Old April 22nd 15, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 April 2015 01:57:04 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

Why not just like [link?] to the exact photo? Don't really need to showcase your whole page here.

I thought it an excellent selection of images.

Certainly not overwhelming in number and all of high quality.

What's your beef? Lack of personal talent with a camera?

Let's see...

Set camera to automatic: Check!
Aim camera in general direction of subject: Check!
Press shutter button numerous times: Check!
Make some random adjustments: Check!
Press shutter button numerous times: Check!
Select a few photos out of hundreds: Check!

Typical of Flickr.

Or just being the selfish, miserable git we have come to know so well?

You're not Snell as well are you?

Two dried peas in a withered pod.

Those pictures taken in Australia... collins must have taken a sailboat to get there? And then walked from Sydney to Uluru?

Old April 22nd 15, 02:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I walked up and down the aisles of the A380 and again on the flight from
Sydney to Ayer's Rock. Have you ever been to Uluru? An attempt to walk
there from Sydney would invite a very fuel costly rescue. But you would get
a good view of the southern sky by night.
Old April 22nd 15, 03:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 9:25:00 AM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:

Those pictures taken in Australia... collins must have taken a sailboat
to get there? And then walked from Sydney to Uluru?

I walked up and down the aisles of the A380 and again on the flight from
Sydney to Ayer's Rock.

Don't be an idiot... the plane moves 100X faster than you walk, minimum.

Have you ever been to Uluru? An attempt to walk
there from Sydney would invite a very fuel costly rescue. But you would get
a good view of the southern sky by night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...neys_under-way

(Although in many cases there was some "cheating" going on... support vehicles, cached supplies, etc.)

The ancient aborigines had to walk to get to Uluru in order to know of its existence in order to name it. No fossil fuel was needed.

What's your excuse, warmingista?
Old April 22nd 15, 06:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wsnell01 wrote:

Those pictures taken in Australia... collins must have taken a sailboat
to get there? And then walked from Sydney to Uluru?

I walked up and down the aisles of the A380 and again on the flight from
Sydney to Ayer's Rock.

Don't be an idiot... the plane moves 100X faster than you walk, minimum.

Have you ever been to Uluru? An attempt to walk
there from Sydney would invite a very fuel costly rescue. But you would get
a good view of the southern sky by night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...neys_under-way

(Although in many cases there was some "cheating" going on... support
vehicles, cached supplies, etc.)

The ancient aborigines had to walk to get to Uluru in order to know of
its existence in order to name it. No fossil fuel was needed.

What's your excuse, warmingista?

Even if I wanted to walk across Australia I only had a month between
retiring and return to part-time work so the 86 day record would have been
too long. During the "dream time" the ancient aborigines took thousands of
years to get to Uluru.
Old April 22nd 15, 10:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 April 2015 01:57:04 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

Why not just like [link?] to the exact photo? Don't really need to
showcase your whole page here.

I thought it an excellent selection of images.

Certainly not overwhelming in number and all of high quality.

What's your beef? Lack of personal talent with a camera?

Let's see...

Set camera to automatic: Check!
Aim camera in general direction of subject: Check!
Press shutter button numerous times: Check!
Make some random adjustments: Check!
Press shutter button numerous times: Check!
Select a few photos out of hundreds: Check!

Typical of Flickr.

Apart from the two iPhone photos of the moon, the Jupiter occultation and
the vegetables they are first time photos.

Old April 23rd 15, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Wednesday, 22 April 2015 23:09:28 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

Apart from the two iPhone photos of the moon, the Jupiter occultation and
the vegetables they are first time photos.

You have no need to justify yourself. Least of all to Snell.
He who is proving himself to be a shameless troll on the same gutter level as 1461.
He failed to convince the world to adopt his sociopathic political ethos.
So he has decided to compete with 1461 as s.a.a's most repetitive bore.

There was a time on s.a.a that linking to an astronomical image of any kind was treated with howls of derision.
s.a.a being entirely text based the trolls proved that their two dimensional minds could not remotely cope with imagery.
Odd, really, considering how astronomy is almost entirely image based.
With huge and ongoing international investment in ever-increasing sizes of instrumentation.
No doubt the "pure" theoreticians have a few choice images on their office walls to confirm some connection with reality.
Had s.a.a and abusenet in general adapted to sharing imagery the trolls might never have got such a fast foothold.
Or rather, not have stuck their oversized feet right through the rotting decking of this rapidly sinking, dull and dingy "jolly."