Voice from the past

Old September 8th 12, 09:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

Default Voice from the past

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...
Old September 8th 12, 09:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/8/12 3:10 PM, Jan Owen wrote:
It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...

Good to hear from you, Jan!
-Sam

Old September 8th 12, 10:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:12:59 PM UTC-7, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/8/12 3:10 PM, Jan Owen wrote:

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...

Good to hear from you, Jan!

-Sam

Nice to be here again...

Jan Owen
Old September 9th 12, 01:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

Τη Κυριακή, 9 Σεπτεμβρίου 2012 12:12:14 π.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Jan Owen *γραψε:

On 9/8/12 3:10 PM, Jan Owen wrote:

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...

Good to hear from you, Jan!

-Sam

Nice to be here again...

Jan Owen

Hehehe, small world ... Jan is back!!!

Good to hear from you. Tomorrow I will post some really neat delta-Scuti variables and eclipsing binaries.

Anthony.
Old September 9th 12, 01:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Jan Owen:
It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of
the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP
dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative
ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as
ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old
days...

Nice to "see" you.

For better or worse, I'm still here, more as a lurker than as poster
these days. I've got the flat-earth/geocentric Solar System/human
fossils-on-Mars psychopaths kill-filed, so I see very little traffic.
The problem is that too many of the good and knowledgable folks cannot
resist responding over and over again to the nut cases as if a rational
explanation were a magical cure for a psychosis.

I also don't post so often any more because if one says something
offensive or controversial such as "My, isn't this a lovely day. I hope
you enjoy it and may all your skies be clear," one will come under
relentless attack and receive elegant mathematical proofs that this not
a lovely day, and, in fact, it is the kind of day that only an idiot
like me could enjoy.

If I post a link to an astrophoto that I have made someone who doesn't
know a filter wheel from a Barlow lens will be quick to inform me that
it is the worst astrophoto that ever could be, even though someone said
the same thing about my last astrophoto. So I don't do that anymore,
either.

In fact, even though climate change is a hoax, and the climate in the
Mid-Atlantic states has not changed in the 6,000-year history of the
Universe, /something/ is taking away my clear nights and I haven't even
made a night-time astrophoto in about a year. I blame the /perceived/
change on gay marriage and women having the right to vote.

I would venture to guess that you will disappear again for your own
good, and continue to remember the good old days.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 9th 12, 02:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 13:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Jan Owen
wrote:

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...

Greetings. Not a lot of astronomy around here these days, but what
there is still tends to be good. Of course, Usenet is pretty archaic;
I'd guess that less than 1% of the people using the Internet even know
that newsgroups exist. And as you say, finding servers can be a bit of
an effort.
Old September 9th 12, 06:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:50:10 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I'd guess that less than 1% of the people using the Internet even

know
that newsgroups exist.

.....and most of them think it's called Google Groups.... :-(
Old September 9th 12, 06:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see

how many =
of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA;

but my =
ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find

alterna=
tive ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur

astronom=
y as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure

miss tho=
se old days...

Welcome back, Jan !!
Old September 9th 12, 06:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sep 9, 3:50*am, Chris L Peterson wrote:

... finding servers can be a bit of an effort.

I blame the Chinese billionaire, economic immigrants for undercutting
the minimum wage at McLardy's & Walwart.crumb.

This will all change under the Rev.Mutt Rumboy and Pol (Pot) Awryan.

(When their alien wives drop their shrouds and take over the reigns)

The absolute proof is always on YouTube!
Old September 9th 12, 10:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 08/09/2012 21:10, Jan Owen wrote:

It's been a long time, but I thought I'd just drop in here, & see how many of the old gang are still around... I never intended to leave SAA; but my ISP dropped newsgroups, and I didn't really try hard enough to find alternative ways to get back on board... I'm just as involved in amateur astronomy as ever; just in somewhat more isolation than when on SAA. Sure miss those old days...

Hi Jan. Long time no see. Afraid there isn't all that much left here.
Many have drifted off to mail lists where there is better signal to
noise. You can find free or nearly free Usenet servers like AOIE and
Teranews (one time $5 fee) which is what I use for Usenet these days.

A few groups still have useful content if you killfile the kooks,
nutters and adverts for fake Gucci shoes, Solution Manuals etc.

I don't think you can filter on Google groups though - and they are in
fact one of the main perpetrators of spam abuse against usenet

You were lucky to miss the Hipcryme flooding and gratuitous persecution
of Starlord - that was a real low point here.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown