Roger W. Tuthill has suspended business, and perhaps permanently...

Old August 6th 03, 05:14 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default Roger W. Tuthill has suspended business, and perhaps permanently...

I got this in reply to an e-mail I sent awhile ago...

"Thank you for your inquiry, however, Roger W. Tuthill, Inc. is not doing
business at this time. If you have sent us an email previously, or have
placed an order, we will be contacting you shortly.

For over 30 years, Roger W. Tuhill, Inc. has appreciated your business
and support."

Would you believe that someone replied within an hour, and at almost
midnight to boot?

Alan

Old August 6th 03, 07:29 AM
Rod Mollise

Would you believe that someone replied within an hour, and at almost
midnight to boot?

Hi Alan:

Well, it sounds like an automated setup. But at any rate, the end of Tuthill is
a rather sad day. For many years a reliable fixture in the amateur astronomy
world.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old August 6th 03, 01:42 PM
Mike Jones

Same kind of sad like when Telescopics, Ken Novak, Jaegers, E&W Optical and John
Meshna all called it quits. Those were some good businesses and products. I still
like Telescopics' Sky Micro Giant 2" focusers best of all - I have 3 on different
scopes and wish I had more.
mij

Old August 6th 03, 03:21 PM
Dale

Alan W. Craft wrote:

I got this in reply to an e-mail I sent awhile ago...

"Thank you for your inquiry, however, Roger W. Tuthill, Inc. is not doing
business at this time. If you have sent us an email previously, or have
placed an order, we will be contacting you shortly.

For over 30 years, Roger W. Tuhill, Inc. has appreciated your business
and support."

Would you believe that someone replied within an hour, and at almost
midnight to boot?

Alan

Perhaps they will be bought and reestablished by another company (a' la
Lumicon).

Dale

Old August 6th 03, 03:44 PM
Kevin Smith

I thought it would be difficult since Roger passed away. He was the man
behind the company, and with no disrespect couple that to the new solar
filters out there, it didn't seem that they could continue as they had
before. Maybe someone will take on the odd product here and there. Only time
will tell.

I only met Roger once, and that was on the Romania eclipse trip in 1999, and
what lovely bloke, and such pleasent company.

Automoated reply or not, nice touch.

Kevin
www.kevsmith.com

Old August 6th 03, 04:25 PM
Gary Hand

Rod, it's not the end of Tuthill. I talked to Nancy Tuthill at Stellafane. They are
doing a partnering with another company that is taking all its time. They will be
back selling tuthill stuff after that.
Thank you
Gary Hand
Hands on Optics

Old August 7th 03, 01:24 AM
Bill Meyers

I have a Telescopics 6 inch f5 Dob and it is a great widefield scope. I regret not
having bought the 8 or 10 inch as well. All t three have rotating tubes, for example.
I believe I got my 16.3 mm 80 degree field Erfle from them too.
It is sad when very high quality suppliers go out of business. I bought some things
from E & W Optical in Minneapolis and they were fine too. They made a fine lightweight
portable aluminum equatorial mount that I have always regretted not buying. It was the
most sensible equatorial mount for a 6 inch reflector I have ever seen. Do any SAA
people own it, I wonder?
Bill Meyers