"Dear Mr. Craft...

Old November 6th 03, 08:17 PM
Alan W. Craft

Default "Dear Mr. Craft...

...We have checked with Parks, and the mirror is back from coating
and the telescope is in assembly. It should be completed and tested by
the end of next week.

Yours truly,

Richard"

Gee, I hope they don't rush it through, and perhaps, cut a corner or two...

I should never have called!

Alan
Old November 7th 03, 12:16 AM
Mike Simmons

"Alan W. Craft" wrote:

...We have checked with Parks, and the mirror is back from coating
and the telescope is in assembly. It should be completed and tested by
the end of next week.

Yours truly,

Richard"

Gee, I hope they don't rush it through, and perhaps, cut a corner or two...

Cut corners? You're getting a square mirror? :-)

Mike
Old November 7th 03, 12:29 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:16:44 -0800, Mike Simmons wrote:

"Alan W. Craft" wrote:

...We have checked with Parks, and the mirror is back from coating
and the telescope is in assembly. It should be completed and tested by
the end of next week.

Yours truly,

Richard"

Gee, I hope they don't rush it through, and perhaps, cut a corner or two...

Cut corners? You're getting a square mirror? :-)

8^)

The mirror was finished at the time of inquiry, so I'm only concerned
about the tube and its components, particularly the JMI NGF-DX3 focusser
I'm having installed in lieu of their in-house focussers.

Alan
Old November 7th 03, 03:50 PM
Howard Lester

"Alan W. Craft" wrote

The mirror was finished at the time of inquiry, so I'm only

concerned
about the tube and its components, particularly the JMI NGF-DX3 focusser
I'm having installed in lieu of their in-house focussers.

I hope they're smart enough to have ordered the focuser with a 5" radius
base.

Howard Lester

Old November 7th 03, 06:58 PM
tmc

I have the DX3, and it is a real beauty! I have it on a home made 10"
Dob with a Parks mirror (which is sweet) also.

Old November 7th 03, 11:26 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:50:48 -0700, "Howard Lester" wrote:

"Alan W. Craft" wrote

The mirror was finished at the time of inquiry, so I'm only

concerned
about the tube and its components, particularly the JMI NGF-DX3 focusser
I'm having installed in lieu of their in-house focussers.

I hope they're smart enough to have ordered the focuser with a 5" radius
base.

Howard Lester

There's no need to keep me in suspense, Mr. Lester.

Why, then, should it be with a 5" radius base?

Alan
Old November 7th 03, 11:55 PM
Howard Lester

I hope they're smart enough to have ordered the focuser with a 5" radius
base.

Howard Lester

There's no need to keep me in suspense, Mr. Lester.

Why, then, should it be with a 5" radius base?

A 5" radius makes a perfect fit onto a 10" diameter tube. Their standard
base is a 10" radius, and that would make for a fit that is very sloppy and
difficult to square to the tube.

Mr. Howard Lester

Old November 8th 03, 01:24 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:58:09 GMT, tmc wrote:

I have the DX3, and it is a real beauty! I have it on a home made 10"
Dob with a Parks mirror (which is sweet) also.

I custom ordered this one, an 8" f/5, and for placement upon a
Vixen GP-DX, and instead of an f/6 with its extra 8" of tube length.
Parks makes an 8" f/4, but I wanted something to seesaw between
visual observation and astrophotography, but secondarily for the latter
if and when the mood strikes.

Parks regularly offers the f/4 and f/6 ratios for their 8" mirrors,
o.t.a.'s, and complete systems. My request for an f/5, and not
unreasonable given that I'd have to wait just as long for an f/4
or f/6, happily coincided with Parks's experimentation with a
small batch of 8" f/5 primaries, and due, I suspect, to the 8"
f/5 Syntas et al flooding the marketplace.

I hope you've a dark-sky site that's convenient, if not right
outside your front door, and to make good use of the 10".

Alan
Old November 8th 03, 05:51 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:55:20 -0700, "Howard Lester" wrote:

I hope they're smart enough to have ordered the focuser with a 5" radius
base.

Howard Lester

There's no need to keep me in suspense, Mr. Lester.

Why, then, should it be with a 5" radius base?

A 5" radius makes a perfect fit onto a 10" diameter tube. Their standard
base is a 10" radius, and that would make for a fit that is very sloppy and
difficult to square to the tube.

Mr. Howard Lester

I went to JMI's website, and I see what you mean.

I'll be contacting Parks and Scope City as soon as possible,
and then report back.

It's always something...

Alan