So, what's on the Moon?

Old March 19th 17, 06:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BogeyOne

Default So, what's on the Moon?

Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'd pass on that technology until humans become socially advanced
enough to not consider its weapons potential.

The case could be made that we are running out of time. The threat of
nuclear war or mishap is all to very real now.

I am thankful every go to bed that we made it another day.

Old March 19th 17, 03:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 22:23:45 -0700, BogeyOne
wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'd pass on that technology until humans become socially advanced
enough to not consider its weapons potential.

The case could be made that we are running out of time. The threat of
nuclear war or mishap is all to very real now.

Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.
Old March 20th 17, 02:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:
Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.

Well, happy springtime to you, too!

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 20th 17, 03:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:39:41 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:
Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.

Well, happy springtime to you, too!

I am neither happy nor sad at the prospect. Nature takes its course as
nature takes its course. The Universe is beautiful to me now, and it
really doesn't matter if anyone or anything is here to make that
observation.
Old March 20th 17, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 11:56:28 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 22:10:38 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 6:53:41 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:30:29 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27:33 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)

It changes color perception! )o:

Very perceptive of you! ;-))

Looks like, Yellow man will rule the Moon!

Ruling is probably the wrong term. Occupying? Dossing? Squatting?
After all, the YT cough experts cough would have you believe it is already taken.
If so, it would be a highly asymmetric conflict of interests.
I'm not sure the Chinese have the necessary technology or manpower to actually invade The Moon.
Certainly not against an interstellar mining company.
One capable of building structures vast enough to be seen from the Earth with YT [averted] vision. ;-)

US let them rule it, than fight a space war to take it back!
Good for the economy and science!
Old March 20th 17, 10:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 2:13:25 PM UTC, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:39:41 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:
Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.

Well, happy springtime to you, too!

I am neither happy nor sad at the prospect. Nature takes its course as
nature takes its course. The Universe is beautiful to me now, and it
really doesn't matter if anyone or anything is here to make that
observation.

I suppose you will enjoy the perverse and absurd pivoting circle of illumination off the Equator explanation for the Equinox -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170319.html

The same organization acquitted itself last year by producing a timelapse with the circle of illumination fixed thereby allowing the motions of the Earth to the Sun to account for the actual explanation.

Old March 21st 17, 12:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:
Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.

Davoud:
Well, happy springtime to you, too!

I am neither happy nor sad at the prospect. Nature takes its course as
nature takes its course. The Universe is beautiful to me now, and it
really doesn't matter if anyone or anything is here to make that
observation.

Not even a tiny bit melancholy? da Vinci, da Shakespeare, da
Michelangelo, all lost along with everyone who could appreciate them?

I think that the notion that the Universe is beautiful is purely
sentiocentric; it wouldn't be beautiful if if no one were in it to say
that it is beautiful.

Old March 21st 17, 12:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:20:20 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:
Yes. I think it's likely we will kill most of ourselves off and
destroy our current civilization within the next century. It's
probably inevitable.

Davoud:
Well, happy springtime to you, too!

I am neither happy nor sad at the prospect. Nature takes its course as
nature takes its course. The Universe is beautiful to me now, and it
really doesn't matter if anyone or anything is here to make that
observation.

Not even a tiny bit melancholy? da Vinci, da Shakespeare, da
Michelangelo, all lost along with everyone who could appreciate them?

And the likely millions of other fascinating and brilliant intelligent
beings that we'll never know? The countless examples of art and music
and literature and who knows what things we haven't even imagined, or
can't imagine, that have been lost to the Universe?

That these things were, and then weren't, is perhaps better described
as a bittersweet recognition.

I think that the notion that the Universe is beautiful is purely
sentiocentric; it wouldn't be beautiful if if no one were in it to say
that it is beautiful.

That's true. But it's beautiful while there's something sentient to
make that observation, and it's all meaningless when there isn't.
Old March 21st 17, 04:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
I think that the notion that the Universe is beautiful is purely
sentiocentric; it wouldn't be beautiful if if no one were in it to say
that it is beautiful.

Chris L Peterson:
That's true. But it's beautiful while there's something sentient to
make that observation, and it's all meaningless when there isn't.

Sometimes I take the nihilistic view‹that on a sufficiently large scale
it is all meaningless in any case. Strangely, perhaps, that view is
sometimes comforting, at odd moments.

"...I don't feel frightened by not knowing things...by being lost in a
mysterious Universe without having any purpose, which is the way it
really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me."
‹Richard Feynman

Old March 21st 17, 09:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 04:44:29 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
I think that the notion that the Universe is beautiful is purely
sentiocentric; it wouldn't be beautiful if if no one were in it to say
that it is beautiful.

Chris L Peterson:
That's true. But it's beautiful while there's something sentient to
make that observation, and it's all meaningless when there isn't.

Sometimes I take the nihilistic view逆hat on a sufficiently large scale
it is all meaningless in any case. Strangely, perhaps, that view is
sometimes comforting, at odd moments.

"...I don't feel frightened by not knowing things...by being lost in a
mysterious Universe without having any purpose, which is the way it
really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me."
騎ichard Feynman

At least 6 billion people are obviously terrified of the universe. They invent assorted father figures [with all that entails!] to stop the sky from falling.

I am interested in the idea of humanity, the individual's choices and the very limited lifespan of generations and even the species, in the longer term.

Every single individual who is born has to totally reinvent human behaviour in some sense. They are born with a clean sheet until [usually] programmed by parental guidance. Brain washing in exchange for the gift of language and nurturing.

Is it a greater or lesser tragedy when somebody jumps off a high roof at the _exact_ moment an asteroid wipes out all of humanity? Is the act of jumping still a sin? How many nanoseconds after the asteroid hits before all of history's superstitions completely cease to exist?

Is a superstition like a language? It must be constantly exercised or it simply dies out? Does nobody ever question the validity of their own superstition in relation to the literally hundreds of thousands which have been completely forgotten? Or faded from having any useful purpose? If those beliefs were simply lost through time passing, then what possible value has their own in the longer term?

Could global, human amnesia, perhaps due to a magnetic pulse anomaly, suddenly end all superstitious behaviour? Does the superstitious brain offer a greater or lesser chance of genetic survival? Leaving aside the question of ritual murder for blasphemy or simple disbelief in the local superstition. Usually entirely an accident of location at birth. Is snake oil toxic or benign to the continuation of humanity? Or is it another appendix? Just waiting to fester and kill the host.