Evening apparition of Mercury

Old April 30th 15, 10:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default Evening apparition of Mercury

wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 7:03:06 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 4:23:39 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:

The AGW laws that you would enact would virtually guarantee that future
generations would NOT have a "reasonable lifestyle." Pity you can't see that.

Perhaps you would condescend to inform me what those laws are?

I say we don't find out, but some possibilities a

Draconian fuel economy standards,

You mean the standards other countries already use.

You mean the standards that make cars cost-prohibitive for some.

No, the standards that make them economical and safe to run.

fuel taxes

Excellent idea!

We use them to pay for roads.

Guzzler taxes

Fuel taxes should take care of that

Fuel taxes do not seem to be preventing the sale of UK guzzlers.

They have reduced sales a lot.

restrictions (usually unequally applied, of course) as to when, where
and if one can drive

Stupid idea - usually favouring the rich

Yet the sort of thing that one might see in authoritarian areas such as the UK.

No there are no such rules in the UK. Authoritarian rules, like jay walking
laws would be ignored by the freedom loving British.

ridiculous standards for new building construction

You mean decent insulation standards - good idea

No, I mean new standards for water heaters that requiring remodeling of
the utility spaces in small townhouses and condos and limitations on
window sizes, to give two examples. Insulation pays for itself, rapidly.

You need to stop your population accepting such authoritarian rules. They
are too concerned about guns to look at the real erosions of their freedom.
But maybe the water heaters are bad. Vath seems think it takes days to
start s boiler. The most common heaters in the UK, condensing combi-
boilers heat water on demand and don't have a hot water storage tank.

curfews an American solution. I can't recall such a thing in the UK unless in a riot.

Same here.

checkpoints

A good idea for trucks, not necessary for other vehicles

Agreed, but leftists LOVE that sort of thing.

Where do you get such stupid ideas.

rolling blackouts

Likely in the US because of your inefficient power grid but not a way to
ensure future fuel efficiency.

Unlikely in the US, so long as enough fossil plants remain on-line.

The term brownout is American not British.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...new-technology

Intrusive inspections

What do you mean by this?

Exactly what it says. The UK, lacking a Constitution is vulnerable to such things.

Nonsense.

renewable subsidies

Useful as a startup measure but not long-term.

When/if we need renewables, we'll probably get the equipment from the Chinese.

cars-for-clunkers

Stupid idea

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/28/b...get-extension/

Stupid idea.

Import quotas

I thought you were a capitalist. Have you never heard of the benefits of
free trade?

That's why I am against import quotas and against subsidies.

Unlike most of your compatriots.
Old April 30th 15, 10:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 7:03:06 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 4:20:28 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

In
Britain somebody driving one of these is the object of derision. Or maybe a
drug dealer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahel...their-wedding/

http://www.edmunds.com/hummer/h1/2001/mpg/

Aston Martin = 15 MPG, Hummer H1.8 mpg.

The H1 _can_ carry more drugs, I suppose.

Probably could.
Not many Aston Martins around in the UK.

There are relatively few Aston Martins here either, but if the UK didn't
produce them, there would be even fewer everywhere. Meanwhile the H1
does as well on MPG, and can carry more people, cargo.

Don't be stupid. The rich would be buying other expensive sports cars as
toys instead.
But most cars on the road have
engines smaller then 2litres.

Funny you should say that that, my daily driver falls into that category.

Most of the economical VW group cars (VW,
SEAT, Skoda) are not even sold in the USA.

Those ~1.0 engines will get you killed to death on the highway. Of
course the -entire- UK is only about the size of Oregon so maybe that's
why you can cram yourself into one of those. When those things break
down, do you even bother to fix them? The performance/price looks very poor.

What sort of cars break down? I've had my Fabia 7 years and only replaced
tyres, light bulbs and windscreen wipers apart from routine servicing.

The Ford Focus is on your list as an economical car but outside the USA it
has a much smaller engine and better fuel efficiency.

That model isn't on CR's recommended list so why should anyone care?

Old May 1st 15, 06:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Thursday, 30 April 2015 23:49:59 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

What sort of cars break down? I've had my Fabia 7 years and only replaced
tyres, light bulbs and windscreen wipers apart from routine servicing.

I was passed, while out walking, by a pretty, little, "Smart" sports car.
I tried breaking into a jog but it still left me behind.
It would have been different if I'd had my bike!
But I stopped cycling at St.Snell's behest.
I hear St.Snell is to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.
People were so fed up with the constant noise of traffic!
St.Snell has inspired many people to just give up.
Old May 2nd 15, 12:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 5:45:27 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

Mike Collins pointless generalizations edited out

You seem to be quite the hypocrite, driving cars and flying on planes, while preaching about AGW.

You obviously have double standards when it comes to comparing Americans with Brits. Your Aston Martins get horrible gas mileage, yet you deride Americans for their SUVs which have far more utility than your Aston Martins. The fact that the brand is not common anywhere is beside the point; you paint all Americans with a broad brush wrt SUVs while ignoring the fact that many Brits own them too, and even make and sell some vehicles that are even worse.

I suggest that you stick to facts and examples in the future, and learn that Brits are far from perfect and not to be held up as a "standard" for anything.

Old May 2nd 15, 12:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

Aston Martin = 15 MPG, Hummer H1.8 mpg.

The H2 does as well, wrt MPG, as the DB9. Given how little the DB9 can actually do, which vehicle is more Earth-friendly?

Old May 2nd 15, 01:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wsnell01 wrote:

Those ~1.0 engines will get you killed to death on the highway. Of
course the -entire- UK is only about the size of Oregon so maybe that's
why you can cram yourself into one of those. When those things break
down, do you even bother to fix them? The performance/price looks very poor.

What sort of cars break down? I've had my Fabia 7 years and only replaced
tyres, light bulbs and windscreen wipers apart from routine servicing.

Assuming you bought it new, you haven't owned it very long.

I usually buy used cars with miles on them, yet usually have to only buy tires, batteries and other "wear items." $3500 used car with 100K miles went another 100K miles with only brakes, alternator and radiator. The clutch finally wore out, would cost more than car was then worth. A $1000 car went 50K miles with only brakes, battery and radiator.

Old May 2nd 15, 01:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 1:57:52 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Thursday, 30 April 2015 23:49:59 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

What sort of cars break down? I've had my Fabia 7 years and only replaced
tyres, light bulbs and windscreen wipers apart from routine servicing.

I was passed, while out walking, by a pretty, little, "Smart" sports car.
I tried breaking into a jog but it still left me behind.
It would have been different if I'd had my bike!
But I stopped cycling at St.Snell's behest.
I hear St.Snell is to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.
People were so fed up with the constant noise of traffic!
St.Snell has inspired many people to just give up.

Warmingistas need to practice what they preach.