Introducing Comet ISON

Old October 5th 12, 06:05 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Introducing Comet ISON

Introducing Comet ISON
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121001.html

The comet, discovered just over a week ago from Russia by Vitali Nevski (Belarus) and Artyom Novichonok (Russia), is currently falling toward the Sun from between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn. In early 2013 October it will pass very near Mars and possibly be visible to rovers and orbiting spacecraft. Comet ISON appears on course to achieve sungrazer status as it passes within a solar diameter of Sun's surface in late 2013 November. Whatever survives will then pass nearest the Earth in late 2013 December. Astronomers around the world will be tracking this large dirty snowball closely to better understand its nature and how it might evolve during the next 15 months.

Old October 5th 12, 12:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Oct 4, 11:05*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Introducing Comet ISON

With its name in all caps like that, for a second I thought you wrote
Comet ISDN.

John Savard
Old October 5th 12, 05:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Quadibloc" wrote

Introducing Comet ISON

With its name in all caps like that, for a second I thought you wrote
Comet ISDN.

John Savard

In a similar vein, every time I see the telescope manufacturer "PlaneWave,"
I read it as "PlanetWave." That occurred even when I saw their display at
NEAF!

Howard