Getting to the Total Solar Eclipse

Old December 29th 05, 08:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Getting to the Total Solar Eclipse

I'm giving consideration to getting to the total solar eclipse this March.
Turkey, Egypt and Libya seem to be good spots, but I'd like to make this as
simple and economical as possible. It would be good to fly directly to some
city near the path from say England, probably London. Maybe a two day visit
to a place along the path with an overnight stay. I'm completely unfamiliar
with those three countries, but have traveled to Europe several times.
Alexandria looks tempting, and certainly has historic interest. I would
imagine there's some transportation to Musaid, which is on the coast 300
miles W of Alexandria, and smack on the path. Any suggestions?

"I often quote myself - it adds spice to
my conversation." - George Bernard Shaw

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old December 29th 05, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:25:53 -0000, W. Watson
wrote:

I'm giving consideration to getting to the total solar eclipse this
March. Turkey, Egypt and Libya seem to be good spots, but I'd like to
make this as simple and economical as possible. It would be good to fly
directly to some city near the path from say England, probably London.
Maybe a two day visit to a place along the path with an overnight stay.
I'm completely unfamiliar with those three countries, but have traveled
to Europe several times. Alexandria looks tempting, and certainly has
historic interest. I would imagine there's some transportation to
Musaid, which is on the coast 300 miles W of Alexandria, and smack on
the path. Any suggestions?

I'll be in Side in Turkey on the 29th March. I'm staying here...
http://hemerahotel.com/engindex.html
It's a hotel popular with Germans, so high standards are guaranteed :-)

I've never been to Turkey, but have been told that Side is a decent resort
with historical value, Roman ruins in abundance.
I'm a Brit by the way and I'm flying out of London, so if you need any
help with that part of the journey then get in touch.

--
Gareth
Old December 29th 05, 10:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Gareth Slee" wrote:

I'll be in Side in Turkey on the 29th March. I'm staying here...
http://hemerahotel.com/engindex.html
It's a hotel popular with Germans, so high standards are guaranteed :-)
(snip...)

I'll be based in Antalya, and will observe from the
Side area on the 29th.

Be advised, though, that a *lot* of people are going to
Turkey at the end of March, and flights are getting
expensive.

Canada and U.S. folks need a visa to visit Turkey.
You can do it at the airport when you arrive, but since
my arrival time is 2310 (shudder), I'm going to see if I
can set things up with the Turkish Embassy before I
leave. Gives me something to do in January...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old December 30th 05, 12:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Wayne,

We also have three minutes of totality in Greece. The Greek isle of
Kastellorizo lies in the path of totality. One possibility would be to
fly from London to Athens ... Athens to Rhodes and then my plane or
ferry from Rhodes to Kastellorizo.

Anthony.

Old December 30th 05, 07:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

[...]

Where do you fly into?

Old December 30th 05, 07:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

laura halliday wrote:

"Gareth Slee" wrote:

I'll be in Side in Turkey on the 29th March. I'm staying here...
http://hemerahotel.com/engindex.html
It's a hotel popular with Germans, so high standards are guaranteed :-)
(snip...)

I'll be based in Antalya, and will observe from the
Side area on the 29th.

Be advised, though, that a *lot* of people are going to
Turkey at the end of March, and flights are getting
expensive.

Canada and U.S. folks need a visa to visit Turkey.
You can do it at the airport when you arrive, but since
my arrival time is 2310 (shudder), I'm going to see if I
can set things up with the Turkish Embassy before I
leave. Gives me something to do in January...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

A visa? Won't a passport do it?

Old December 30th 05, 08:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

W. Watson wrote:

A visa? Won't a passport do it?

For many countries, no -- suprisingly many. Look here, for example:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html

Phil
Old December 30th 05, 08:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:46:45 -0000, W. Watson
wrote:

Where do you fly into?

I'm flying into Antalya. It's about 45 minutes west of Side.

--
Gareth
Old December 30th 05, 10:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler -wrote:

A visa? Won't a passport do it?

For many countries, no -- suprisingly many. Look here, for example:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html

Visa requirements and fees are often on a tit-for-tat basis:
if they need a visa to visit your country, you're almost certainly
going to need a visa to visit theirs, and they're going to
charge you what you charge them.

The list of countries whose nationals can visit the USA
without a visa is *very* short.

Old December 31st 05, 02:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:47:52 GMT, "W. Watson"
wrote:

A visa? Won't a passport do it?

You gotta get that stamp.