Pete Conrad's T-38 Accident?

Old August 12th 09, 07:24 PM posted to sci.space.history
CarmineRed

Default Pete Conrad's T-38 Accident?

From the paperback edition of "Rocketman", Pg 47:

"Pete had had a mission or two aborted on him. Hell, he even ran out
of gas in a T-38 a mile short of Ellington Field in Houston, popped
out, and watched the bird go down and explode under him, then packed
his chute and walked calmly to somebody's house to use the phone."

Now this is news to me. I haven't read through the whole book yet, but
so far it seems a poor tribute to the man, with many "events" of his
life embellished with details that could not have come from Conrad
himself but more likely the author(s) imagination.

So, is this claimed accident more of the same? If so, as I suspect,
then certainly this book is a worthless read and I will set it down
immediately. If true, then it makes Cernan's trashing of a Bell 47,
for which he nearly lost his moon flight, seem paltry and I've missed
an interesting and radically undereported incident in the anals of
spaceflight history (with all the "Astronaut" books I've read, what
are the chances of that?).

Can anyone shed some light?

Carmine

Old August 12th 09, 09:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matthew B. Ota

On Aug 12, 2:24*pm, CarmineRed wrote:
From the paperback edition of "Rocketman", Pg 47:

[...]

There is no anecdotes in any of my many space history books that
mention Conrad punching out of a T-38. I would say it is fiction.
Old August 12th 09, 11:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
CarmineRed

There is no anecdotes in any of my many space history books that
mention Conrad punching out of a T-38. I would say it is fiction.

I can't find any references either, and immersed as I have been in
Apollo history, I was sure a google search
wouldn't turn up anything either which is why I posted. But, I have
since fornd this:
http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/A...t_38_talon.htm

Still, I find it hard to beleive this hasn't been the topic of more
discussion. Although it did occur in 1972, after his
moon flight, so any fallout from such an accident might have been more
easily forgotten/ swept under the rug.

The stories of astronauts pushing the limits in their T-38s and
landing on fumes have been well documented,
especially in "All American Boys", yet that book fails to mention it
either (If I remeber well).

I have often heard that some of the stupidest accidents happen to some
of the best pilots, but this incident is still
very surprising to me, but mostly for the way it has remained so
obscure--if even true. And before anyone jumps
me for saying it was a stupid accident, I would only characterise it
as such if it were indeed a case of a perfectly
serviceable airplane being run out of gas by its pilot, without any
other mechanical/operational extenuating
circumstances.

Which is why I'd like to know more about this incident. Pete Conrad
was an exceptional pilot by all accounts and
a boyhood hero of mine. I believe any inights into this incident may
serve to further illuminate this extraordinary
man's character and psychology, as well as perhaps provide another
look into astro-politics in general.

Old August 14th 09, 04:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Matthew B. Ota" wrote:

There is no anecdotes in any of my many space history books that
mention Conrad punching out of a T-38.

Which isn't particularly suprising considering the quantity of
anecdotes and new information that have come to light in the last 5-10
years.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Pete on Spaceweather Philippe Gautier UK Astronomy 5 May 29th 08 09:48 PM
Thanks Pete !! Little Bummer Boy Amateur Astronomy 0 May 14th 06 05:26 AM
Pete Lawrence Andy UK Astronomy 2 March 16th 05 08:50 PM
Sky And Telescope and Pete Lawrence Jim UK Astronomy 8 August 26th 04 07:19 AM
Congratulations Pete Martin Frey UK Astronomy 4 August 4th 03 10:02 AM