The Republic moon suit

Old January 18th 11, 05:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default The Republic moon suit

Does anyone know whether there are drawings available anywhere? I
can't find a patent for it (but there's a patent for the much bigger
Aerojet suit).

I was wondering whether there was room to pull one's arms back into
the cylinder.

Thanks.

Mike
Old January 18th 11, 07:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jan 18, 2:50*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

There's some photos of it hehttp://www.astronautix.com/craft/repnsuit.htm

Thaks.

I assume you could pull your arms inside, as otherwise it looks like it
would be impossible to put on.
This says there are shelves of food inside of it, so that would also
indicate that the arms can be taken out of the sleeves:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2005/...pace-explorer/

I thought it might go together fore and after rather than being top
and bottom. Somewhere I've seen a smaller suit than the Republic
suit, but similar to it.

It actually got featured on a postage stamp from Yemen:http://fandom.rusf..ru/about_fan/sta...n_sl2_det4.jpg

One wonders who designs those stamps.

Mike

Old January 18th 11, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 1/18/2011 9:08 AM, wrote:
Does anyone know whether there are drawings available anywhere? I
can't find a patent for it (but there's a patent for the much bigger
Aerojet suit).

I was wondering whether there was room to pull one's arms back into
the cylinder.

There's some photos of it he
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/repnsuit.htm
I assume you could pull your arms inside, as otherwise it looks like it
would be impossible to put on.
This says there are shelves of food inside of it, so that would also
indicate that the arms can be taken out of the sleeves:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2005/...pace-explorer/
It actually got featured on a postage stamp from Yemen:
http://fandom.rusf.ru/about_fan/stam...n_sl2_det4.jpg

Pat

Old January 18th 11, 10:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 1/18/2011 11:01 AM, wrote:
On Jan 18, 2:50 pm, Pat wrote:

There's some photos of it he
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/repnsuit.htm

Thaks.

I assume you could pull your arms inside, as otherwise it looks like it
would be impossible to put on.
This says there are shelves of food inside of it, so that would also
indicate that the arms can be taken out of the sleeves:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2005/...pace-explorer/

I thought it might go together fore and after rather than being top
and bottom. Somewhere I've seen a smaller suit than the Republic
suit, but similar to it.

The Grumman design looked a lot less clunky:
http://thefoxisblack.com/2010/04/16/...t-of-the-week/
There was a "Matt Mason" version of that that I had as a kid:
http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-ca...732401395.html
I also used to have some small-scale polyethylene toy astronaut figures,
one of which had a partial hardsuit like that design.
These are two spacesuit designs that have to be seen to be believed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22948295@N02/4928387046/
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat
Old January 19th 11, 02:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jan 18, 5:44*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

The Grumman design looked a lot less clunky:http://thefoxisblack.com/2010/04/16/...t-of-the-week/

.... The essay being written by someone distinctly hostile to the
entire concept.

There was a "Matt Mason" version of that that I had as a kid:http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-ca...t-Mason-Moon-S...
I also used to have some small-scale polyethylene toy astronaut figures,
one of which had a partial hardsuit like that design.

That's probably the one I'm remembering. Where did that idea
originate?

Do you remember Claude the Cyborg from a comic book, in about 1965?
Imagine a man in a loose jumpsuit, with a helmet of light fabric with
#D-glasses as the goggles.

Mike
Old January 19th 11, 05:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 1/18/2011 6:31 PM, wrote:
On Jan 18, 5:44 pm, Pat wrote:

The Grumman design looked a lot less clunky:
http://thefoxisblack.com/2010/04/16/...t-of-the-week/

... The essay being written by someone distinctly hostile to the
entire concept.

There was a "Matt Mason" version of that that I had as a kid:http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-ca...t-Mason-Moon-S...
I also used to have some small-scale polyethylene toy astronaut figures,
one of which had a partial hardsuit like that design.

That's probably the one I'm remembering. Where did that idea
originate?

Apparently a Grumman original, no doubt connected with fairly ambitious
lunar exploration plans for the later series Apollo missions.
There we quite a few advanced vehicles and suits designed for extended
missions, including the fairly well-known MOLAB:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/molab.htm

Do you remember Claude the Cyborg from a comic book, in about 1965?
Imagine a man in a loose jumpsuit, with a helmet of light fabric with
#D-glasses as the goggles.

Wait a second, is this the guy that's got copper skinning on him, and
they fight things that look like intelligent gorillas in green
onion-dome shaped spacecraft?

Pat
Old January 19th 11, 06:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
Obviousman

Those designs are not far-fetched; the bubble helmet was adopted but the
CV joints posed a problem, leading to a new design.

Old January 19th 11, 02:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dr.Colon Oscopy

On 1/18/2011 11:01 AM, wrote:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat

If memory serves me correctly the Soviet Krechet lunar suit had (was
to have?) a stiff ring system incorporated in it to assure that if the
cosmonaut went down on his back he wouldn't turtle and could get up on
the lunar surface. I've never seen this "support system" and I know
in times past it was rumored that the support system that the Krechet
was seen so often seen sitting in photographs, was in fact the
support system. In any case it echoed the structured tripod support
system seen in the earlier Astro-in-a-can suit seen here......Doc
Old January 19th 11, 06:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 1/18/2011 10:14 PM, Obviousman wrote:
Those designs are not far-fetched; the bubble helmet was adopted but the
CV joints posed a problem, leading to a new design.

There's no reason the bubble helmet needs to be anywhere near that big;
it's an invitation to falling over and cracking your helmet open on a rock.
As far as the second one goes, its single arm is going to terribly limit
the astronaut's ability to maneuver himself as he tries to escape his
damaged spacecraft or operate anything mechanical in zero g, as he
would need one arm to operate the intended system, and another to brace
himself while doing it.

Pat
Old January 19th 11, 07:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 1/19/2011 6:45 AM, Dr.Colon Oscopy wrote:

If memory serves me correctly the Soviet Krechet lunar suit had (was
to have?) a stiff ring system incorporated in it to assure that if the
cosmonaut went down on his back he wouldn't turtle and could get up on
the lunar surface. I've never seen this "support system" and I know
in times past it was rumored that the support system that the Krechet
was seen so often seen sitting in photographs, was in fact the
support system. In any case it echoed the structured tripod support
system seen in the earlier Astro-in-a-can suit seen here......Doc

I've read the same thing; the suit was supposed to have a hula-hoop like
partial ring going around its back side to prevent the cosmonaut getting
stuck on his back like a turtle if he fell down.
The picture of the suit with the red framework on it, he
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/krechet.htm
Does make it look like some sort of thing that's a part of the suit
itself, and not a display frame for it.
It looks like it has some sort of pneumatic piston on its center post
that would swing the frame out at a ninety degree angle to the suit when
retracted. Maybe the cosmonaut was supposed to use it like a pair of
crutches to position himself upright again?

Pat