EVA things

Old August 16th 10, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default EVA things

You know if I had a ten pound note for every time I've heard crew wresting
with apfrs, I'd be very rich!
So where did all the amonia leaks go, did it just boil away and the seals
resealed?

Also note that they still have not got their comms in eva suits to work with
people with slightly quiet or higher pitched voices very well yet. I heard
this effect years ago, and it does make people very hard to understand
unless they are booming or used to public speaking!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old August 16th 10, 10:43 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 16, 11:03*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
You know if I had a ten pound note for every time I've heard crew wresting
with apfrs, I'd be very rich!
So where did all the amonia leaks go, did it just boil away and the seals
resealed?

Also note that they still have not got their comms in eva suits to work with
people with slightly quiet or higher pitched voices very well yet. I heard
this effect years ago, and it does make people *very hard to understand
unless they are booming or used to public speaking!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!

Unlike the rest of us that usually have to pay our own way and be
accountable, apparently our NASA and ISS have unlimited time and get
as many do-overs as they like.

~ BG
Old August 17th 10, 08:02 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

I don't see what your reply has to do with the question.

One thing I did notice is that they have not yet put the old pump back
anywhere. I wonder if someone is working on some plan to get it back after
all. I bet there are a number of people who want to have a look. In many
ways its failures like this one which will eventually inform design of
outposts away from the support of Earth based resources. One needs to make
equipment which is on site repairable in some way.

You really do not want to have to keep carrying loads of big spares to
Mars, for example just because its going to fail one day.

I also suspect that if there are ever manned missions to Mars, some of the
people going there will need to be eva experts and engineers as you can
hardly wait minutes for decisions from Earth when you run into problems or
have to make decisions.

Brian

Old August 17th 10, 03:19 PM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 17/08/2010 4:03 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
You know if I had a ten pound note for every time I've heard crew wresting
with apfrs, I'd be very rich!

And you'd weigh a lot more too... grin
Old August 18th 10, 03:30 AM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 18/08/2010 3:28 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well the mass would go up but not the weight.

Brian

smacks forehead
Old August 25th 10, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

On Aug 16, 11:03*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
You know if I had a ten pound note for every time I've heard crew wresting
with apfrs, I'd be very rich!
So where did all the amonia leaks go, did it just boil away and the seals
resealed?

NASA says the quick disconnect valve closed this time (walk #2)
"Wheelock successfully closed the quick disconnect valve for the final
fluid connector for the failed ammonia pump module. Then he
successfully detached the final fluid line." http://www.nasa.gov/
mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition24/081110_spacewalk.html

And space.com says
"It came down to brute strength in the end for NASA astronauts Douglas
Wheelock and Tracy Caldwell Dyson to remove the balky ammonia hose,
which had stuck fast and leaked toxic ammonia coolant during an
earlier spacewalk. "
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...space-station-
spacewalk-repairs-progress-100811.html

/dps

David A. Smith (DZLC of sci.astro), all things are not property ofRomania. Human dignity is that distinction of what happened in Romania andwhat Ceuasescu believed humans and culture and humanity is worth in a worldof All Things as a property of Roma gb[_3_] Astronomy Misc 0 November 7th 08 10:11 PM
Things that are different, just ain't the same Jeff Findley Policy 1 October 4th 06 01:46 PM
I RUN THINGS now Chuck P Adams Misc 0 January 4th 06 08:46 PM
Best things to see in UK sky davlap Amateur Astronomy 8 March 29th 05 11:42 AM