Chandrayaan 1 now in lunar orbit

Old November 11th 08, 07:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Chandrayaan 1 now in lunar orbit

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0811/07chandrayaan/
Will drop its impactor on Nov 15.

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 06:57 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

India's first lunar probe lands on the moon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/...a_moon_mission
Old November 14th 08, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
India's first lunar probe lands on the moon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/...a_moon_mission

Some news reports call it "crash-landed", so it's not as impressive as the
US and Soviet unmanned probes which soft landed on the moon. Still, it's
quite an achievement.

Jeff
--
beb - To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, reality has an anti-Ares I bias.

Old November 14th 08, 07:33 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

wrote:
India's first lunar probe lands on the moon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/...a_moon_mission

Any links to the descent images yet? It should rank right up there with
Ranger 7.

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 07:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Some news reports call it "crash-landed", so it's not as impressive as the
US and Soviet unmanned probes which soft landed on the moon. Still, it's
quite an achievement.

Jeff

"Crash-landed" is a understatement... it went straight into the Moon in
a unbraked descent, like our early Ranger probes - hitting the surface
at several thousand miles per hour.
Total descent time after release from Chandrayaan to impact was to be
around a day, so if it took pictures all the way down, it should make
one mighty impressive movie of still frames.
Nice work, India...nice work indeed !

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

"Crash-landed" is a understatement... it went straight into the Moon
in a unbraked descent, like our early Ranger probes - hitting the
surface at several thousand miles per hour.
Total descent time after release from Chandrayaan to impact was to be
around a day, so if it took pictures all the way down, it should make
one mighty impressive movie of still frames.
Nice work, India...nice work indeed !

Pat

According to this, the impactor survived its impact on the lunar
surface, and sent data back after its impact:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I...ow/3714245.cms
If that's the case, then India has led the world in regards to a high
impact velocity probe that hits a planetary surface and keeps
working...like would be usable in regards to impactor probes on
Jupiter's and Saturn's moons.
Many nations have discussed such a concept; apparently India is the
first nation to achieve it.

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 08:44 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"OM" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:48:04 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Total descent time after release from Chandrayaan to impact was to be
around a day, so if it took pictures all the way down, it should make
one mighty impressive movie of still frames.

...*Did* it take photos all the way down?

This thread is worthless with out pics! :-)

Jeff
--
beb - To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, reality has an anti-Ares I bias.

Old November 14th 08, 09:57 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 10, 11:28 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0811/07chandrayaan/
Will drop its impactor on Nov 15.

Pat

What a pack of losers you are. Just like Hitler, perhaps you should
take your own life, and be done with it. Trust me, none of us good-
guys would mind losing your worthless contributions.

~ BG
Old November 15th 08, 06:32 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
Total descent time after release from Chandrayaan to impact was to be
around a day, so if it took pictures all the way down, it should make
one mighty impressive movie of still frames.

...*Did* it take photos all the way down?

This thread is worthless with out pics! :-)

I made a slip on the descent time BTW; it was 25 minutes, not around a day.
The article I read on it around a week back said it was 25 _hours_.
I haven't seen any photos yet, but resolution is supposed to be five
meters: http://tinyurl.com/6rn7g4
Old November 15th 08, 07:29 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
This thread is worthless with out pics! :-)

ISRO has a couple of photos from the impactor up now:
http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/moon_images.htm

Pat