Star Trek to return in '08

Old April 21st 06, 08:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

Default Star Trek to return in '08

Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

"The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle
"Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5.
Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also
help write and produce.

"Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star
Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first
meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission."

Old April 21st 06, 09:41 PM posted to sci.space.history

On 21 Apr 2006 12:30:54 -0700, "
wrote:

Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

....To be honest, this *might* be what's needed to kick the franchise
in the balls(*) and make it perform again. I'm not sure the "Starfleet
Academy" story is the proper choice, tho. Were I doing it, I'd skip
the movie and do a new series that "reimages" TOS to some extent, I've
had some serious ideas about this for a while, and one of these
decades I'll do OMTrek to give the details, but in a nutshell the
following rules would apply:

1) It's a five season mission at the least, with an option for seven,
encompassing a five year mission following a one-year shakedown
cruise.

2) All 79 episodes, including *both* pilots, happened. However, as we
see, the actual events as seen in TOS will be revealed to have been
depicted on a low-budget late 23rd century cable access history
channel. Which means what cost NBC and Desilu/Paranoidmount nearly
$200K USD 1966-1969 was easily within the budget of a group of 23rd
century amateur production artists who desired to work in 2D rather
than holographics.

3) Every single one of the characters below the "big three" will see
significant character development. In almost every episode. Including
Nurse Chapel, Mr. Kyle, and even Mr. Leslie.

4) Most, if not all of the discrepancies and "why the **** didn't
they...?" problems with the plots will be fixed. Such as why in "The
Enemy Within" didn't they simply send down a shuttlecraft to rescue
Sulu & the landing party? Answer: those weather changes created
superturbulent winds in the upper atmosphere that made flight between
100K and 10K impossible.

5) There'll be quite a few new episodes in between the remakes,
although many of the remakes will now become two-parters to
accommodate the character development.

6) Koloth, Kang and Kor will show up as the primary Klingon
adversaries, and the Organian Peace Treaty will have a few loopholes
in it to allow some nice hand-to-hand combat.

7) The one episode that needs almost *no* tweaking will be, of course,
the Doomsday Machine. The only tweaks are to explain where Uhura and
Chekov were, and make the DM large enough to swallow half a planet,
which is what it should have been to begin with.

8) The series will start off with the recommissioning of the
Enterprise. The sets and the ship will be as we see in TOS, with a few
tweaks here and there where necessary. Lots of styrofoam on the walls,
too. Lots more :-)

9) The first few eps will deal with the shakedown of the ship, with
Kirk getting used to his new science officer's cold Vulcan attitude,
and the rest of the crew getting used to him *and* his new first
officer - a rather wild, fun-loving guy named Gary Mitchell. Yep,
Mitchell is the first officer, as is implied in the 2nd pilot. And
yep, this is a deliberate "**** *YOU*, bitch!" to Vonda McIntyre for
having forced the issue in that dismal crap she put to paper called
"Enterprise: The Worst Mission".

10) Halfway through the first season, we'll deal with the mission to
leave the galaxy, why a "stunt flight" like this was staged in the
first place, and the true nature of what they encountered out there
that changed Mitchell and Dehner, and destroyed the Valiant. Hint:
Peter David provided two possible answers, and both will be used.

11) The rest of the first season will deal with Kirk getting used to
having a new Number One, and we'll deal with the first few TOS season
one reimagings, specifically the episodes that occurred prior to
"Space Seed".

12) That's because "Space Seed" will be the two-parter that opens the
second season. Here's where we meet Chekov for the first time, and one
of the character developments is how he rises through the ranks
following this episode. And ties up a "Wrath of Khan" "gaffe".

13) All those parallel and duplicate Earth stories? "Miri", "Bread and
Circuses", and "Omega Glory"? There's a reason why they exist, and
there'll be a couple of episodes dealing with the cause and whether or
not the crew of the E should find a way to prevent it from happening
again.

....There's a lot more to my reimaging, but again, one of these days
I'll do an episode by episode retelling and do a website for it. One
thing I will say is this: I've come up with a really easy way to fix
"Spock's Brain" so it works, and "As The Brats Shall Lead You" gets
it's share of fixing as well.

(*) Seeing as how they won't physically do that to either Berman or
Braga...
OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old April 21st 06, 09:58 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:41:48 -0500, OM wrote
(in article ):

"As The Brats Shall Lead You" gets it's share of fixing as well.

Well now that Mel Belli has gone to that Great Courtroom in the Sky, it
should be pretty easy to fix. ;-)

--
Herb

"Everything is controlled by a small evil group to which,
unfortunately, no one we know belongs."
~Anonymous

Old April 21st 06, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.history

A suggestion: do the Andy Szerkis/Gollum approach with the Known
Regulars. Find actors who are built like Shatner and Nimoy and such,
and put reflective dots on their faces, and put CG Old School Trek
Heads onto 'em. The voices might be tricky, but I'm sure that you can
get either:
1) Good-enough voice imitators
2) A really spiffy computer code that will take the actors voices and
mutate 'em into the right voices.

Other than that... go for it! I'm *sure* that Hollywood will be glad to
pony up the money...

Old April 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:58:47 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:41:48 -0500, OM wrote
(in article ):

"As The Brats Shall Lead You" gets it's share of fixing as well.

Well now that Mel Belli has gone to that Great Courtroom in the Sky, it
should be pretty easy to fix. ;-)

....What's funny is that I thought Belli's performance on the ep was
probably the only *good* thing about it. Then again, for the reimaging
I was thinking about casting Johnny Cochran, but since *he's* dead
too...

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old April 21st 06, 10:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

On 21 Apr 2006 12:30:54 -0700, "
wrote:

Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

"The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle
"Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5.
Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also
help write and produce.

"Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star
Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first
meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission."

Well, I'm not overwhelmed by the "Starfleet Academy" storyline, but I
like Abrams coming aboard. Early "Alias" and "Lost" were excellent.

"Batman Begins" was a good flick, "Star Trek: The Beginning" could be
too. The devil will be in the details (casting, writing.)

Brian
Old April 21st 06, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:
On 21 Apr 2006 12:30:54 -0700, "
wrote:

Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

Were I doing it, I'd skip
the movie and do a new series that "reimages" TOS to some extent, I've
had some serious ideas about this for a while, and one of these
decades I'll do OMTrek to give the details, but in a nutshell the
following rules would apply:

The silliest part of this whole Paramount venture (enterprise?) is that
it's already being *done* online already:

http://www.newvoyages.com

Heck, they've even got Chekov and Sulu signed up for new episodes.

Old April 21st 06, 10:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

" wrote in
message ups.com...
Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

"The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle
"Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5.
Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also
help write and produce.

"Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star
Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first
meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission."

I believe it when I see it ....
Paramount / Viacom also tired Series II which was a disaster of management
decisions and promises
now being made by these executive's off-string - Next Generation - in a bad
way.

gb

Old April 21st 06, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:32:19 -0500, OM wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:41:48 -0500, OM wrote
(in article ):

"As The Brats Shall Lead You" gets it's share of fixing as well.

Well now that Mel Belli has gone to that Great Courtroom in the Sky, it
should be pretty easy to fix. ;-)

...What's funny is that I thought Belli's performance on the ep was
probably the only *good* thing about it. Then again, for the reimaging
I was thinking about casting Johnny Cochran, but since *he's* dead
too...

OM

Actually, yeah, me too. I was making a joke at his expense is all.

Old April 22nd 06, 12:10 AM posted to sci.space.history

"OM" wrote in message
On 21 Apr 2006 12:30:54 -0700, "
wrote:

Prepare to hurl:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....reut/index.ht

ml

...To be honest, this *might* be what's needed to kick the franchise
in the balls(*) and make it perform again. I'm not sure the "Starfleet
Academy" story is the proper choice, tho. Were I doing it, I'd skip
the movie and do a new series that "reimages" TOS to some extent, I've
had some serious ideas about this for a while, and one of these
decades I'll do OMTrek to give the details, but in a nutshell the
following rules would apply:

Not bad.

Funny how just today I was saying that I always sort of preferred the look,
feel, tone of the TOS over NG.

But if we want to take a different tack, what about the a crew aboard
another Constitution Class starship. See things from their POV.

Though, I'm tempted to move things up to the movie era, only because I find
the refit one of the better looking ships of all the series.

good stuff clipped

OM
--