Light Pollution - a small sucess

Old November 19th 03, 08:48 PM
Stargazer

Default Light Pollution - a small sucess

Here in Spalding, South Lincs, we are plagued by an increase in the LP.Over
to my SW, the sky glow reduces visibilty upto 25degrees Altitude (approx).

I have noted most of the serious culprits and have started to write
individual letters to each. I am pleased to report a small success. I sent a
letter yesterday to The Butters Group and at tea time this evening i was
visited personally by the gent in charge. He informed me that he was not
aware of the damage his firm was causing to the environment or that he could
be saving money on his electricity bills. He has promised me that within two
weeks he will arrange for some of his lights to be turned off after 10pm and
the remaining lights will be altered to reduce the glow. I was impressed by
his approch to this delicate problem and feel that at last we may well win
the battle in Spalding.

A copy of my original letter can be found at:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/nebula1/light_pollution.htm

Also, since becoming the Promotions Officer for my local AS, i have
increased membership through the use of local papers and a local store -
Welec's, who sell a small range of telescopes - and am arranging for another
good editorial in the next few weeks. I even stood outside out local Aldi's
store a couple of weeks ago when they were selling cheap 76mm Newtonian
scopes and invited a dozen or more people to come to our next meeting (this
Friday). *** I like to keep busy***

Isn't life wonderful??

Clear, Dark skies

Martin A

"The joy of Astronomy is in the discoveries we make"
--
Remove star to reply

Old November 20th 03, 09:01 AM
Chris.B

"Stargazer" wrote in message ...
[...]

The active approach at work. Congratulations.
But I would look carefully at your signature on your letter again.
You mention the meaning in the middle of your letter but it appears as
"SoLAGS" in the signature. It sounds more like a prison reform society
to me. "Save our (old) Lags"? I would simply print out the full
version to avoid this "slight complication". ;-)

Chris.B
Old November 20th 03, 11:16 AM
Barry Sharpe

Thats good news Martin A,

I have unfortunatly reached the point where our local polluter has
stopped resonding to my letters emails etc. Not because they are rude
or even because i have sent to many. My suspicions are that the Sports
stadium sees this as a non issue. I will still keep trying but my
deepest hope is that i can bang them over the head with some form of
legislation in the not distant future. It is good to see some success
in this area.

Barry

Remove the 1nospam2 to reply

Old November 20th 03, 11:59 AM
Dave

"Stargazer" wrote in message
[...]

I Like your approach. Appeal to their pockets!

DaveL

Old November 20th 03, 05:37 PM
Stargazer

snipped

Isn't life wonderful??

Clear, Dark skies

Martin A

"The joy of Astronomy is in the discoveries we make"

The active approach at work. Congratulations.
But I would look carefully at your signature on your letter again.
You mention the meaning in the middle of your letter but it appears as
"SoLAGS" in the signature. It sounds more like a prison reform society
to me. "Save our (old) Lags"? I would simply print out the full
version to avoid this "slight complication". ;-)

Chris.B

Hi Chris.

I hate the societies name of SoLAGS. When i first heard about it i looked
everywhere for SLAGS!! However, i am trying to persuade the full committee
to change it to:

Spalding and District Astronomy Society (SaDAS) or
South LincsAstronomy Society (SoLAS or SLAS)

Difficult one this. As 'some' people consider amateur astronomers sad for
spending endless hours freezing at night, the first choice may win it. Any
other suggestions would be welcome ;-)

Martin A

Old November 20th 03, 05:44 PM
Stargazer

"Dave" wrote in message

"Stargazer" wrote in message
"The joy of Astronomy is in the discoveries we make"

--

I Like your approach. Appeal to their pockets!

DaveL

One of my 'near ' neighbours- Easterly direction - has ONE light to

illuminate his yard full of lorries. Whilst the light is hidden behind
another building, the glow is horrendous (sp?). I have written to him twice
but he hasn't replied. I doubt whether he ever will. As Barry said, we can
only hope that legislation comes in soon so we can nail the ignorant and
selfish perpetrators.

My next task is to arrange a meeting with the local council to see what
there views are on LP.

Thanks for all your comments

Martin A

Old November 20th 03, 05:49 PM
James

"Stargazer" wrote in message
I hate the societies name of SoLAGS. When i first heard about it i looked
everywhere for SLAGS!! However, i am trying to persuade the full committee
to change it to:

Spalding and District Astronomy Society (SaDAS) or
South LincsAstronomy Society (SoLAS or SLAS)

Difficult one this. As 'some' people consider amateur astronomers sad for
spending endless hours freezing at night, the first choice may win it. Any
other suggestions would be welcome ;-)

How about "Astronomical Society of South lincs, or "ASS"? )

Actually, I might have to pop over sometime as I'm in south lincs myself and
should be gettting a scope round christmas time.
Cheers,
James

Old November 21st 03, 07:36 PM
Chris.B

(Barry Sharpe) wrote in message . com...
Thats good news Martin A,

I have unfortunatly reached the point where our local polluter has
stopped responding to my letters emails etc. Not because they are rude
or even because i have sent too many. My suspicions are that the Sports
stadium sees this as a non issue. I will still keep trying but my
deepest hope is that i can bang them over the head with some form of
legislation in the not distant future. It is good to see some success
in this area.

Barry

What is this sports stadium Barry? Private, council, football club,
athletics?
I'm just thinking that you may be attacking the wrong target with your
correspondence. Is it lit every night? For how long? Is there always
activity when it is lit? So who is paying the electricity bill? Can
they (or their representatives) be approached directly? (Possibly
bypassing the stadium personnel?)

I noticed new streetlamps going up in a local village which I drive
through on the way home from work. All are fully hooded downlighters
with no sideways light escaping at all. Impressive!
Contrast that with the small amateur football pitch beside the busy
(otherwise unlit) main road. Absolutely blinding to drive past at
night! It is positively dangerous.
It must be absolute hell trying to see the ball under that glare! Six
or eight downlighters rather than the usual 4 high towers with "spray"
lighting at the 4 corners would surely be much better for the players?
It would probably save money in the long run with lower wattage lamps
required. Though I don't know who you could approach to make a real
difference here. Is there an amateur league involved with an elected
committee? (This may not apply to you Barry)

Chris.B

Old November 25th 03, 09:45 AM
Barry Sharpe

The sports stadium is owned by a trust, Originaly the stadium was
owned by the council. A few years ago the council let it go to this
trust so that some funds could be raised to give it an overhaul. The
overhaul included an indoor tennis center, an outdoor ski slope and an
outdoor golf range. Also Some new football courts were setup. The car
park was relayed and new lights added. The round headed lights with no
shielding, the ski slope has it's lights at the bottom and the top of
the ski slope. Yep you as you may have guessed it the lights at the
bottom of the slope are directed up on to the ski slope. There are
flood lights for each court. I shall get picture of my western sky, My
house is approximatly 5 miles away. In my first email to the trust,
they replied and said that the light are all turned off at 11.00pm.
But this is rarely the case, i have driven too the stadium at 2,00am
in the morning agreed the ski lights are off but the car park lights
and various security lights remain on.

Barry