solar powered lights down the garden path !

Old May 24th 04, 03:39 PM
Maurice Gavin

Default solar powered lights down the garden path !

I've finally succumbed. As someone who abhors garden lights
especially from neighbours, I've finally succumbed to a line of tiny
solar powered LEDs down to the garden path to the observatoryg.Tired
of falling into the bushes at 2AM!

These lights are of an ingenious optical design which belies their
very modest cost. A single bright white 3mm diam lensed LED sends a
narrow 20o wide beam downwards onto a small aluminised pyramid which
redirects the light horizontally outwards through a series of fluted
cylindrical lenses. The horizontal light spread above 30o is
minimal. A 50x50mm solar panel 'lid' charges internal batteries
[2x1.2v Ni Cad] which discharge automatically through the LED via a
dusk to dawn sensor.

At least 6 hours illumination seems possible after a bright day and
these portable lights, with on/off switch, could serve to illuminate
starmaps or tripod perhaps with coloured acetate 'sleeves' around the
LED. Ideal safety feature for starparties. Product Batis #79774
price £9.98 a pair from Homebase - UK.

All astronomers need now is get the planet to swap its halogen lamps
for LEDs !

Old May 24th 04, 03:42 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:39:11 GMT, (Maurice Gavin)
wrote:

[...]

Maurice, I've got a set scattered around my garden and find them
totally unobtrusive. I find that there can be quite a bit of
extraneous lighting going on around me without interfering much with
the images I take. Night vision is another matter altogether though.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old May 24th 04, 07:26 PM
J.Hill

"Maurice Gavin" wrote in message
[...]

Preferably red LEDs ;o)

Actually, I nicked one of these lamps off of my parents. I'm already
considering replacing the LED with a bright red LED.

Cheers,
Jim

Old May 24th 04, 11:42 PM
Colin Dawson

"J.Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Why not just paint the main lens with red transparent model paint. That way
you'll get a nice red light instead of white. If you want a deeper red,
just apply another coat ;-)

I'm thinking about doing this, if I ever get a garden into a state where
it's worth illuminating it.

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

Old May 25th 04, 07:59 AM
Maurice Gavin

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:42:08 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson"
wrote:

All astronomers need now is get the planet to swap its halogen lamps
for LEDs !

Preferably red LEDs ;o)

Actually, I nicked one of these lamps off of my parents. I'm already
considering replacing the LED with a bright red LED.

Cheers,
Jim

Why not just paint the main lens with red transparent model paint. That way
you'll get a nice red light instead of white. If you want a deeper red,
just apply another coat ;-)

I'm thinking about doing this, if I ever get a garden into a state where
it's worth illuminating it.

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

Some pics of lights at

http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/garlite.htm
Old May 25th 04, 10:33 AM
Roger Steer

I've got them too. They light the way to the observatory, and because
of the opaque top, are not directly visible from inside.

If you want to replace the LEDs with red ones, get ULTRA-bright
NON-directional LEDs if you don't, they will not cast any useful light
on the ground.

I doubt that painting the cover red will work either, as the lights,
although looking white, are actually a mixture of monochromatic
frequencies - you can't 'colour' light, you can only filter it.

I don't imagine that they have any real effect on your night vision.
They are VERY low power, and work by directing the light into a very
small area.

Roger
Old May 25th 04, 01:29 PM
Steve Taylor

Roger Steer wrote:
I've got them too. They light the way to the observatory, and because
of the opaque top, are not directly visible from inside.

If you want to replace the LEDs with red ones, get ULTRA-bright
NON-directional LEDs if you don't, they will not cast any useful light
on the ground.

I doubt that painting the cover red will work either, as the lights,
although looking white, are actually a mixture of monochromatic
frequencies - you can't 'colour' light, you can only filter it.

I don't imagine that they have any real effect on your night vision.
They are VERY low power, and work by directing the light into a very
small area.

Roger

Do they do anything cunning in the "electronics" with these lights, or
are they resistor current limited ? Red leds are much more efficient
than white leds, and you could extend the life of the available light.

Steve

Solar Flare Impact Steve Dufour Misc 0 October 31st 03 03:28 PM
NASA Wants You to be a Solar System Ambassador Ron Baalke Amateur Astronomy 0 September 12th 03 01:32 AM
ESA Sees Stardust Storms Heading For Solar System Ron Baalke Science 0 August 20th 03 08:10 PM
What can be expected with solar filters? Rune Allnor Amateur Astronomy 4 July 17th 03 02:48 PM