ASTRO: 4 asteroids and one galaxy

Old January 7th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: 4 asteroids and one galaxy

I've set a record, for me. 4 asteroids in one shot. During a hole in
the clouds a while back (Oct. 1 about 6 hours UTC) I took color data for
M74 taken earlier. I posted that LRGB image some time back. What I
never noticed was that the RGB frames had 4 asteroids in them. Since
the Luminosity frames were taken earlier the LRGB didn't show the
asteroids and I never saw them in the processing. The color was awful
using AIM4Windows as it kept bombing due to file sizes being too big. I
had to do some things incorrectly to get it to function at all and that
ruined the color making it the "motor oil" galaxy.

Tonight I reprocessed it using Photoshop CS I got for Christmas and
found the asteroids. So here's a RGB version showing all 4 with them
identified with magnitude per Minor Planet Center's asteroid checker. I
like the name of the bright one! I enhanced the brightness of the two
fainter asteroids so they appear much brighter than they should.
Otherwise they were too faint to see easily. If I pushed the whole
image the galaxy got grainy. Just remember the two fainter ones are
quite a bit fainter than shown.

14" LX200R@f/10, RGB 3x10 minutes each binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M74RGB3X10AST.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	301
Old January 9th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
I've set a record, for me. 4 asteroids in one shot........

Great image of the galaxy Rick!

....hopefully none of those asteroids are heading our way!

George N

Old January 9th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

I've set a record, for me. 4 asteroids in one shot........

Great image of the galaxy Rick!

....hopefully none of those asteroids are heading our way!

George N

The minor planet center said no more positions needed for any of these.
You can interpret that either way I suppose. Maybe that's how Tata
got its name.

I prefer the LRGB version of the galaxy but it doesn't show the
asteroids as I never combined the color frames into the Lum data. I
often do but these were taken different times and that would mean a
recombine. I figured that would dim them too much so didn't try it.

Rick