Headline News from Houston - Meteor misses Space Station

Old December 12th 04, 01:35 PM
Craig Fink

Default Headline News from Houston - Meteor misses Space Station

Just saw the Space Station fly over Houston this Morning, what a wonderful
sight. I got to watch sunrise on the Space station as it went from a dark
to light in a few seconds. The Station appeared white during the
transition, unlike the sunset I observed a month ago or so. During the
sunset, the Station appeared to turn dark red before going dark.

Also got to see a meteor enter the earths atmosphere. The Station was
standing still when compared to the meteor. It was amazing what the
relative velocity difference looked like. While the Station was crossing east to west,
the meteor crossed it's path south to north (really appearing to be
straight down). Luckily, the meteor passed behind the space station by a
good five degrees or so.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/S...ood-38903.html

Shouldn't the Station crew be on half rations instead of 90% rations? With
only 30 days of food onboard, saving 10% only gives them 3.3 extra days of
food, while half rations gives them 30 extra days. It seems to me that
there are many things that can delay the Progress resupply ship other than
it's total failure to make it to orbit. I would think that the more likely
scenario would be some delay on the ground that would require some time to
fix, not a launch failure. Really extending the food supply could be
important. 1500 cal per day is still plenty, especially if they reduce their
exercise program.

A 10% reduction seems like a useless half hearted attempt to say they are
doing something about the dwindling food supply.

Sorry about the headline, but it's "good" news, and could be said
about everyday the Space Station spends onorbit. ;-)

Craig Fink
Old December 12th 04, 04:29 PM
bob haller

[...]

Sadly theres not a extra progress in the supply line. Because of russias lack
of $$ its a just in time system.

Failed progress it doesnt matter another wouldnt be available for months, plus
whatever time is needed to understand and correct the failure.

10% cut just gives them a little edge, if they need more than that it doesnt
matter.
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old December 12th 04, 04:51 PM
Craig Fink

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:29:20 +0000, bob haller wrote:

[...]

.
.
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....

Let the astronauts decide what risks they are willing to take, it may be
dangerous, but it's the only US ride to the Space Station for some time to
come. It may be wasteful too, but that's true of just about everything the
Federal Government does, including whatever NASA builds to replace the
Shuttle.

How long was the delay of the recent Soyuz to fix the blown pryo? Would 3
days extra be enough, or does that type of on the ground repair require a
month?

Craig Fink
Old December 12th 04, 05:02 PM
bob haller

Let the astronauts decide what risks they are willing to take, it may be
dangerous, but it's the only US ride to the Space Station for some time to
come. It may be wasteful too, but that's true of just about everything the

Its BAD when going endless round and round supporting a do nlittle station is
preventing the money from really doing something in space.

How long was the delay of the recent Soyuz to fix the blown pryo? Would 3
days extra be enough, or does that type of on the ground repair require a
month?

About a month to fix a ground mistake.

I am thinking more of a nice progress engine failure at low altitude blown up
by range safety....

That might just end the blackhole money pits...
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old December 12th 04, 08:36 PM
richard schumacher

Very convenient, actually. If the crew are forced home, ISS can rapidly
become uninhabitable and unrecoverable, and then everyone can stop
wasting money on it. What a shame, eh?
Old December 12th 04, 09:00 PM
Brad Guth

I agree that our extremely old and mostly cold-war configured shuttles
are simply providing more likelihood of accidents to come, not to
mention their truly horrific impact upon the environment, and that's
excluding the rather pesky nature of having our Boeing/TRW Phantom
Works ABL team airborne at the same time of reentry is only improving
the odds of something much worse going a bit further over the edge of
whatever slim safety margin than need be.

I'm fairly certain you've noticed the following topic; Relocation of
ISS to ME-L1

BTW; since the notion of relocating ISS once and for all somewhere that
it'll accomplish the most good for science as well as humanity is a
fairly spendy proposition. However, since it'll only expedite the
eventual replacement by the LSE-CM/ISS, I thought that I alone could
pay for everything related to getting ISS relocated to ME-L1, or at
least I'd be willing to share and share alike by way of matching funds.

What's needed is something on paper that we can each sort of take to
the bank for obtaining the necessary billions as advancements upon
whatever this adventure should require. Actually, since this task is
getting us not only back to the moon in style, but most likely
providing the one and only viable alternative as for our team to be
getting safely to/from the lunar surface via tether pods. As such I
thought perhaps my good buddy and friends for life (the GW Bush family
and the likes of Dick's Halburton) would cough up the necessary
investment bucks. In fact, a good portion if not everything can be
funded by those Saddam and Osama bin Laden bank and investment accounts
that we supposedly already have control over, thus not one thin dime
need be borrowed from the privet sector or taxpayers, and we'd
subsequently OWN THE MOON!

I mean to say; how good is that?

Regards, Brad GUTH / GASA~IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm

Old December 12th 04, 10:36 PM
Craig Fink

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:00:09 -0800, Brad Guth wrote:

[...]

Really funny, I'm rolling on the floor....... hahahahahahahahahaaaa

Thanks Brad, by the way, you too can watch a meteor miss the Space Station
tonight, seems were in the middle of the Geminid meteor shower. It will
peak on Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6692779/

So, type your location in, if you know were you are, at Heavens-Above and
see if ISS is visible at your location tonight.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Craig Fink
Old December 13th 04, 11:06 PM
Brian Thorn

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:35:23 GMT, Craig Fink
wrote:

Also got to see a meteor enter the earths atmosphere. The Station was
standing still when compared to the meteor. It was amazing what the
relative velocity difference looked like. While the Station was crossing east to west,
the meteor crossed it's path south to north (really appearing to be
straight down). Luckily, the meteor passed behind the space station by a
good five degrees or so.

The Station was also a good 100 miles above the meteor you saw.

Brian
Old January 17th 05, 07:55 AM
Brad Guth

Craig Fink,
Stop rolling on the floor.

Don't tell me that you don't believe in the tooth fairy or
science-future, much less in any stinking lunar space elevator, and
I'll suppose there's no further interest in the likes of helium-3
(He3), or of anything capable of supporting star-wars is old hat?

Is this because fusion is no longer viably doable?

Are all such potential contributors strictly anti-everything, as in
'nondisclosure' certified?

BTW; I've initiated another topic that's perhaps a bit wordy to start
off with:

"The Moon, LSE-CM/ISS, Venus and beyond, with He3 to burn"

I've also been the village idiot suggesting that we should be
relocating ISS to the moon, and I suppose you can't imagine all the
flak I'm receiving over that suggestion.

Besides all of that, I have a few pesky questions about gravity, about
terminal velocity in space, about regular ice and dry-ice melting in
space, about interplanetary laser cannon communications and so forth.
Are you interested?

Updated Lunar Space Elevator file:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
This is my Javelin Probe file:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-javelin-probes.htm
Regards, Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old January 17th 05, 01:59 PM
Craig Fink

lol, well, it's a little late for the Meteor Shower of the original posting.
So, I've included a list of Meteor showers that will occur in 2005. It's
at:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/showers.html#2005

Enjoy watching them all miss the space station at a location near you.

Craig Fink

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:55:01 -0800, Brad Guth wrote:

Updated Lunar Space Elevator file:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
This is my Javelin Probe file:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-javelin-probes.htm
Regards, Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Hey, were are the pictures, you forgot the pictures, a picture's worth a
thousand words.