Astro: A very poor Comet ISON Oct. 7, 2013

Old October 16th 13, 08:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: A very poor Comet ISON Oct. 7, 2013

This comet has been an impossible target for me living in the woods and
my nearly constant clouds. It is low in the east deep in my neighbor's
trees. It doesn't rise out of them until well into dawn. So this was
taken under constantly brightening skies dimmed by the morning mist
rising from the lake. This didn't help with color at all. Blue was
mostly lost to blue skies of the rising sun and scattering of the mist.
With only 12 minutes of data per channel it is data starved for such
bright skies. Doesn't help that seeing was poor as was transparency
thanks to the mist. As it is moving east almost as fast as the sun the
situation isn't improving much. Nor is the weather. All frames binned
3x3 to get as good of signal to noise as I possibly could under the
conditions so the image is at 1.5" per pixel rather than my normal 1".
To try and balance the fast brightening skies I took the frames L-R-G-B
repeated 6 times rather than all of one at a time as I normally do. The
green color is due to C2 emission, not CN as some websites have clamed.
It may be more enhanced than it should be as the dawn sky had lot of
red and blue but no green that I saw.

The image was taken about 6:30 a.m. CDT on October 7, the only clear
morning I've had without a moon sitting on top of the comet.

14" LX200R @ f/10, LRGB=2x6'each, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISON_10-7_LRGB6X2X3.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	4791
Old October 19th 13, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

so you have "bagged" ISON, if it evaporates near the sun you may have cought
it at it's best ;-)
I was hoping to get an early shot at ISON too, but so far no luck with the
weather.

Stefan

.com...

Old October 20th 13, 04:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I need your skills for dealing with a bright sky. It is getting rather
bright by the time it is above my tree line here. Will try again but
with 8 to 10cm of of snow forecast for tomorrow that won't be fore a while.

Rick