ASTRO: Nova Vulpecula 2007 revisited

Old September 6th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Nova Vulpecula 2007 revisited

Some nova fade slowly, some rapidly. This appears to be a slow nova.
Some stay blue as they fade but those that throw out hydrogen turn red
as they fade. It appears this is a slow, hydrogen rich nova. I've tried
to match my August 10 shot to the one I grabbed last night just before
the clouds cut me off. Seeing was much better which has had an effect
on the star colors and size. Not to mention that I used 2 minute subs
for this shot and only 1 minute ones for the August shot. So they
aren't as comparable as I'd like. I discovered my error just as the
clouds rolled in so couldn't retake it to match. The far better seeing
also made a difference. Still the change from blue to red is quite
evident. It has faded from Mag 9.4 to 10.1. Only a 0.6 drop in nearly
a month. The Mira variable SS Vulpecula to the upper right faded as
well from 9.4 (same as the nova) to 9.7.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVA_VULPECULA_2007.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	1185
Old September 7th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I think I found the star that blew up on the DSS plates. It appears
very blue. I've attached a small crop of the red and blue images from
the DSS plates with an arrow pointing to my candidate.

The super slow Nova Delphinus 1967 discovered by that famous English
comet hunter George Alcock in July 8, 1967 was the slowest nova I've
ever watched. It was a 12th magnitude star before it blew. It was 6th
magnitude when discovered but didn't reach maximum until December 13
when it reached magnitude 3.5. It dropped after that but then rose to a
secondary maximum of magnitude 4.2 on May 5th, 1968, 10 months after its
discovery. It didn't fade from naked eye visibility until it vanished
into the sun at year end. It wasn't naked eye when Delphinus
reappeared. It still shines about magnitude 12 and is known as HR
Delphinus. It too is very blue on the DSS plates.

I've attached a shot of Nova Delphinus I took a full year after
discovery. I put tick marks around it. Notice no hint of an ionized
hydrogen shell like Nova Vulpecula has developed. Slow nova I've
photographed have either no such shell or fainter ones than fast nova.
I've not seen an explanation why. My sample size is small so that may
be the cause right there. The shot of Nova Delphinus was taken with a
135 mm lens on High Speed Ektachome film with the camera piggy back on
my 10" f/5 Cave. I no longer remember the time but it likely was about
1 minute as it was taken in town which quickly fogged photos much longer
than that.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova_Delphinus.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1190
Attached Images

Old September 8th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've found most nova do light up a hydrogen shell that turns them
red/pink like this. That's why I went back to revisit it. I also took
a shot after a week as if it was a fast nova the shell would have shown
up quickly as the star faded greatly. Only Nova Delphinus didn't show a
hydrogen shell of the nova I've photographed. But that one was around
for 18 months which in itself is rare.

Rick