Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 10th 18, 07:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 07:46:14 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 15:21:57 +0200, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

Why? That's a fallacy. GR is easy to understand. QM is easy to
understand. That doesn't make either of them obvious. We can

puzzle
for a long time over a tricky problem that ends up having an

extremely
simple and easy to understand solution. Simple != obvious.

Here you contradict yourself by saying:

1. QM and GR are both simple..
2. Simple is obvious.
3. However, QM and GR are not necessarily obvious.

Where did I say that simple is obvious? I said that simple does not
imply obvious.

OK, I misread your != as a =

However, simple != obvious is also in error because it implies that
anything which is obvious also must be complex. That is not the case.