CGE & MEADE DSI (Pro) Combi?

Old May 4th 05, 03:07 PM
Djings

Default CGE & MEADE DSI (Pro) Combi?

Hi All,

Small question to the group...
I recently bought a CGE mount (with C11 and Vixen102SS as guidescope). I am currently looking for (affordable) autoguiding options.
Would the DSI (Pro) suffice, maybe in combination with special software like MaxIm DL?
Unforunately, as I live in Europe, ST-4´s and all via Astromart are not applicable...
And, as I am quite new to this....how on earth do I link the PC with the autoguider port?
Thanks for reading,
Thanks more for replying!

Cheers,
Jing

Old May 4th 05, 03:16 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Djings" Djings@Holland wrote in message
.nl...
Hi All,

Small question to the group...
I recently bought a CGE mount (with C11 and Vixen102SS as guidescope). I
am currently looking for (affordable) autoguiding options.
Would the DSI (Pro) suffice, maybe in combination with special software
like MaxIm DL?
Unforunately, as I live in Europe, ST-4´s and all via Astromart are not
applicable...
And, as I am quite new to this....how on earth do I link the PC with the
autoguider port?
Thanks for reading,
Thanks more for replying!

Cheers,
Jing

Initial problem, the software with the DSI, only controls Meade scopes.
However this should change, K3CCDtools has drivers for the LPI, and there
has been talk that the DSI-Pro is going to be easier to drive than the DSI
(without the need to add colour decoding), so in a few months, I'd expect
support for the camera, but 'not yet'. There are two ways of guiding a
scope. Using the Autoguider port, gives the least latency (fastest actual
triggering of a guide correction), but the scope can also be controlled by
'serial' commands. Controlling via the autoguider port, requires either a
camera that supports this, or an adapter to allow the computer to use this
route. Look at:
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...l_GPINT_PT.pdf
as a typical example.
At present, the only software, that can both drive the DSI, and operate
such a guide interface, is Maxim DL/CCD, and while this is a superb
package, the cost will probably exclude this route.
ST4's do come up for sale in Europe sometimes, but I'd probably suggest
looking for the Starlight MX516 second hand. I have seen a couple of these
go for sale in the last few months, and these would avoid the software
problems of the DSI, either allowing guiding with the Starlight S2000
module (which also come up for sale sometimes, and often come 'with' a
camera bundle), or using software guiding.

Best Wishes