[CNN] Gov to use green/red lasers as airspace warning signals

Old February 12th 05, 02:59 PM
Claude Ortega

Default [CNN] Gov to use green/red lasers as airspace warning signals

So I guess that they have found a laser that is 'safe' to use in this
application.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/02/11/l...emo/index.html

--
Claude

Old February 12th 05, 03:22 PM
Mark

They must using those sub-milliwatt keychain models... not the deadly
5mW versions.

"It's an attention-getter, but it's not blinding," Kucharek said. "It's
not a distraction. So pilots can still focus on flying the aircraft
without endangering anyone or themselves."

Old February 12th 05, 03:58 PM
Chris L Peterson

On 12 Feb 2005 07:22:41 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

They must using those sub-milliwatt keychain models... not the deadly
5mW versions.

But no doubt they've found a way to buy those keychain lasers for at
least $10,000 each! g

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 14th 05, 06:05 AM
Wayne Farmer

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
They must using those sub-milliwatt keychain models... not the deadly
5mW versions.

"It's an attention-getter, but it's not blinding," Kucharek said. "It's
not a distraction. So pilots can still focus on flying the aircraft
without endangering anyone or themselves."

More quotes:

=====
Currently, fighter jets are scrambled and either intercept unauthorized
planes or alert them by dropping flares.

"That's a very costly kind of operation," Kucharek said. "With the Visual
Warning System, we wouldn't necessarily have to go to those extremes to get
their attention."
=====
Intense briefings of pilots in the region will also be held so that all
understand how the system works and how to respond.
=====

Sounds like this is a prelude to activating an automatic interception system
(ground-to-air missile, or gatling gun) to destroy any aircraft that ignores
the laser signal. Seems to me this sort of defense would be preferred by
those charged with protecting Washington D.C. - it's faster, and gets around
the need to visually identify the target. The warning lasers would probably
be tied in with the missile tracking radar.

Old February 14th 05, 06:31 AM
holden

Yep they called and I sent em mine. My other'n is up for sale on Ebay for
$20k. 79 bidders as of 2 hours ago. I knew I shuddah bought a gross of em.

Old February 14th 05, 06:33 AM
holden

and to think some 2 year old girl invented it just playing around on her
dad's driveway while he practiced set shots.

Wayne Farmer wrote:

oups.com...

Old February 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Tim Auton

"Wayne Farmer" wrote:
[8]
Currently, fighter jets are scrambled and either intercept unauthorized
planes or alert them by dropping flares.

"That's a very costly kind of operation," Kucharek said. "With the Visual
Warning System, we wouldn't necessarily have to go to those extremes to get
their attention."

Perhaps someone should tell them about that wonderful new invention
they call "radio" ;-)

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 14th 05, 11:46 PM
matt

Chris L Peterson wrote in message
On 12 Feb 2005 07:22:41 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

They must using those sub-milliwatt keychain models... not the deadly
5mW versions.

But no doubt they've found a way to buy those keychain lasers for at
least $10,000 each! g

_______________________________________________ __

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

isn't it fun to see this 180 deg turn without even a blink ?
Just a few days ago the FBI was arresting a guy for pointing a DANGEROUS 5mW
laser WEAPON! at an airplane and endangering the pilots, passengers etc, and
a whole load of patriotic people on this n.g. sided with the FBI. You got
lots of flames for saying this was not dangerous.

Now the gov't says a bunch of the same lasers are not dangerous, are just a
safe warning system etc. I say, send the FBI to arrest them and send them to
jail for up to 25 years, right ?

best regards,
matt tudor

Old February 15th 05, 03:15 AM
David G. Nagel

Tim Auton wrote:
"Wayne Farmer" wrote:
[8]

Currently, fighter jets are scrambled and either intercept unauthorized
planes or alert them by dropping flares.

"That's a very costly kind of operation," Kucharek said. "With the Visual
Warning System, we wouldn't necessarily have to go to those extremes to get
their attention."

Perhaps someone should tell them about that wonderful new invention
they call "radio" ;-)

Tim

Tim;

There are currently 720 radio frequencies used in aircraft. Pick one...

Dave N