Something special for 2005 : Comet Temple

Old November 29th 04, 11:00 PM
Wally Anglesea

Default Something special for 2005 : Comet Temple

Launching this December, "Deep Impact", due to fire a 820 pound projectile
into the comet, in July 2005, to give us a look at the composition.
Predictions are that the comet will brighten to about 5th magnitude, so
you'll still need a scope or binoculars, if it hits as predicted night-time
Australian time.

I'll make a quick prediction. The chicken littles of the world, and the
conspiracy nuts will suddenly become aware of this mission, and get all
twitterpated about it.
Some will worry that bits of the comet might break off and hit the Earth,
and try to stop the mission even after launch. Others will think NASA has
"known all along that this comet was heading for Earth, and this is designed
to stop it", conveniently ignoring both the ephemeris of the comet, and the
energy being released by the projectile.

Hoaxland and McCanney, and the Millennium Group will continue to claim that
comets are hot, electrified bodies, and not cold, regardless of
spectrographic evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, because the display should be awesome.
For more data, go he

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsy...-I_Arrive.html

and

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

Old December 2nd 04, 11:04 AM
EvolBob

That's interesting Wally.
Will this projectile hold any instrumentality to film or sense anything?

Or does it contain high explosives?
Or even better a 100 megaton nuclear device?

Well.. one day we may need to do this, and it would be a great opportunity to do some comet demolition practice - no?

Regards
Robert

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message ...
[...]

---

Old December 2nd 04, 09:33 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:04:24 +1300, "EvolBob"
wrote:

That's interesting Wally.
Will this projectile hold any instrumentality to film or sense anything?

No. it's a copper projectile, with very high purity, so that when the
comet ejects off mass, observers will know with high accuracy the
contents of the comet.

Or does it contain high explosives?

No. It's impact speed will provide the energy

Or even better a 100 megaton nuclear device?

No.

Well.. one day we may need to do this, and it would be a great opportunity to do some comet demolition practice - no?

The energy released will not significantly alter the orbit of the
comet. Similarly, firing a nuke at one that was potentially heading
for Earth wouldn't really stop it (Bruce Willis or Robert Duvall not
withstanding :- ) ). We would merely get a bunch of radioactive
debris that may or may not burn up in the atmosphere.

Best prevention is to identify them far enough out, and give them a
sustained push to somewhere safer, like Jupiter's gravity well. :-)

[...]

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old December 3rd 04, 01:31 AM
RichA

wrote:

That's interesting Wally.
Will this projectile hold any instrumentality to film or sense anything?

No. it's a copper projectile, with very high purity, so that when the
comet ejects off mass, observers will know with high accuracy the
contents of the comet.

Why soft copper? Why not tungsten?
-Rich

Old December 3rd 04, 03:13 PM
EvolBob

Hi Wally.

Best prevention is to identify them far enough out, and give them a
sustained push to somewhere safer, like Jupiter's gravity well. :-)

Far enough out is certainly the key phrase.
The real problem as I see it, is the inability we have on Earth to unite and co-operate towards a solution to a threat like a NEO
collision. I could see a number of hostile nuclear armed nations not willing to let the USA launch a gazillion megaton H bomb into
space for any reason!

Of course if we had a based on the Moon, detection and launching of whatever wouldn't be a concern.

On another related point please note that the sun is an active self-sustaining H bomb.
With enough resources there is no limit to the destructive power of this device, this includes, meteors, comets, rogue planets, even
blood thirsty - brain sucking Aliens!
Hollywood lies.

Poor Jupiter

Old December 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
Steve Willner

Wally Anglesea™ writes:
Best prevention is to identify them far enough out, and give them a
sustained push to somewhere safer, like Jupiter's gravity well. :-)

Everyone agrees on "identify them far enough out," although "well in
advance" might have been a better way to put it. Distance isn't
important; time to impact is. The "sustained push" idea looks very
hard, and "Jupiter's gravity well" looks impossible. (How do you
keep it in the gravity well, even assuming you could manage to get it
there?) There used to be some material on the www.llnl.gov web site,
but I haven't checked lately to see whether it is still there.
Detonating a large nuke near a threatening object is, however, one
plausible idea for changing its orbit. If the time before impact is
long enough, a tiny change in velocity is all that is needed.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old December 3rd 04, 08:37 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:13:16 +1300, "EvolBob"
wrote:

Hi Wally.

Best prevention is to identify them far enough out, and give them a
sustained push to somewhere safer, like Jupiter's gravity well. :-)

Far enough out is certainly the key phrase.
The real problem as I see it, is the inability we have on Earth to unite and co-operate towards a solution to a threat like a NEO
collision. I could see a number of hostile nuclear armed nations not willing to let the USA launch a gazillion megaton H bomb into
space for any reason!

Of course if we had a based on the Moon, detection and launching of whatever wouldn't be a concern.

I think Heinlein said something along the lines of "Earth Orbit is
most of the way there", but I doubt anyone would let the US orbit a
gazillion megaton H bomb there either :-)

However, a damn good scare of a comet/asteroid on a 99.9% chance of
impact on Earth would have many of the anti-space crowd expecting NASA
to fix the problem.

As long as the Jovians don't get ****ed off at us...............

Old December 3rd 04, 08:48 PM
Ray Vingnutte

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:37:14 GMT
Wally Anglesea=99 wrote:

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:13:16 +1300, "EvolBob"
wrote:
=20
Hi Wally.

Best prevention is to identify them far enough out, and give them a
sustained push to somewhere safer, like Jupiter's gravity well. :-)

Far enough out is certainly the key phrase.
The real problem as I see it, is the inability we have on Earth to unite=

and co-operate towards a solution to a threat like a NEO=20
collision. I could see a number of hostile nuclear armed nations not wi=

lling to let the USA launch a gazillion megaton H bomb into=20
space for any reason!

Of course if we had a based on the Moon, detection and launching of what=

ever wouldn't be a concern.
=20
I think Heinlein said something along the lines of "Earth Orbit is
most of the way there", but I doubt anyone would let the US orbit a
gazillion megaton H bomb there either :-)

Under the current management I don't think the US could give a damn about w=
orld opinion. Being the only major super power still intact they could do p=
retty much what ever they wanted, I think that scares people more than a re=
mote chance of an asteroid strike. The UN is for all intense and purposes d=
efunct, redundant.

=20
However, a damn good scare of a comet/asteroid on a 99.9% chance of
impact on Earth would have many of the anti-space crowd expecting NASA
to fix the problem.

And by then it would probably be too late.

=20
=20
=20

On another related point please note that the sun is an active self-sust=

aining H bomb.
With enough resources there is no limit to the destructive power of this=

device, this includes, meteors, comets, rogue planets, even=20
blood thirsty - brain sucking Aliens!
Hollywood lies.

Poor Jupiter

=20
As long as the Jovians don't get ****ed off at us...............
--=20
=20

Old December 4th 04, 02:51 AM
RT

[...]

Let's see, JPL lands the NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft on Eros 2-13-01.
Now we are targeting comet Temple with a projectile. Not to cause
alarm, but doesn't anyone find this a bit curious. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but aren't we experiencing more incoming traffic than usual.
Something like three or four comets last spring/summer and a few near
misses with objects between the earth and the moon. Is this just
normal traffic or is it like one site claims, the forerunners of
comet clusters that regularly enter our solar system? I'm not talking
Planet X, but clusters that appear every 1500-1700 years. Any
credibility to that.

You see, I'm the nervous type. When I hear that Edward Teller worked
in the test tunnels of Nevada, like a man processed, mapping the sky
and developing methods to intercept and destroy incoming objects,
right up until his recent death . And that Bob Lazar (whatever you
think of his credibility) has set up shop in an old hardened Atlas
Missile silo, I get concerned. Damn! I wish I never read Drosnin's
"The Biblecode". He say's the code predicts a strike in 2006. I'm
outta hear!!!!!!!

RT