Stacking...?

Old July 8th 03, 02:35 PM
Robert Geake

Default Stacking...?

Hi Chaps

I had a bash at taking a bunch of 10 second exposures of M13 the
other day, then tried registax to stack them....

The result was worse than the best frame!
Could this be because i did not pick the best
frames from the bunch ?

Thanks

Rob

--
________________________
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/

Old July 8th 03, 03:53 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:35:47 +0000 (UTC), "Robert Geake"
wrote:

Hi Chaps

I had a bash at taking a bunch of 10 second exposures of M13 the
other day, then tried registax to stack them....

The result was worse than the best frame!
Could this be because i did not pick the best
frames from the bunch ?

Can you give any idea what they look like? Ideally, a link to them?

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Old July 8th 03, 04:33 PM
Robert Geake

Both tries are linked below...
Most images are at least half a meg..Sorry!
Result = 0result.jpg for both cases...

http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/m27/
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/m13/

Rob

Old July 8th 03, 04:56 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:33:58 +0000 (UTC), "Robert Geake"
wrote:

Both tries are linked below...
Most images are at least half a meg..Sorry!
Result = 0result.jpg for both cases...

http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/m27/
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/m13/

M27 or M57?

If I don't get the call of the pub tonight (heh heh heh - unlikely)
I'll have a look - I've downloaded them all...

Old July 8th 03, 08:58 PM
Robert Geake

"Rob Pollard" wrote in message
Hi Rob,
Check your inbox Just had a go at processing the M13 images and I've
sent my results. Overall the images are quite noisy, which limits what you
can do with them. I found the best way of stacking it was to use a Median
combine and not a sum combine. This way the noise levels are vastly

reduced.
Also if you look at the histograms of the images on your website, there

is
room for improvement simply by moving the black and white points. Hope

this
helps.

BTW M27 looks suspiciously like M57!!

Doh!

--
Regards
Rob Pollard

My Astro CCD page is:
http://www.robpol.demon.co.uk

Old July 8th 03, 09:01 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Robert Geake" wrote in message
Hi Chaps

I had a bash at taking a bunch of 10 second exposures of M13 the
other day, then tried registax to stack them....

The result was worse than the best frame!
Could this be because i did not pick the best
frames from the bunch ?

Here's my attempt on M57 only, lifes too short to wait for M13 on a dial up
:-(

http://www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.uk/M57_temp.htm

Aligned and stacked with k3ccdtools
Low histogram point set to reduce noise
High histogram point set to stretch contrast
Gamma increased to 1.8 to stretch faint detail
Red curve tweaked in photoshop to bring out colours in ring

Robin

Solid Rocket Booster takes first steps in stacking for return to flight Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 1 August 12th 04 01:13 AM
Image Stacking Henry Amateur Astronomy 3 May 24th 04 04:43 PM
Mac image stacking software Juan Hobenaro Amateur Astronomy 14 October 1st 03 07:52 AM
Stacking question French Dread Amateur Astronomy 1 September 16th 03 11:41 PM
Exposure stacking Dave Nay CCD Imaging 1 September 3rd 03 08:56 PM