Solar eclipse of Aug 21st 2017

Old August 25th 07, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

Default Solar eclipse of Aug 21st 2017

On Aug 25, 10:21 am, "Howard Lester" wrote:
"Esmail" wrote

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming
where I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

And I suppose *my* invitation to that meeting got lost in the mail???

You mean Mike never invited you??? That BUM! ;-)

We planned this because it turned out we were both fairly close to each
other observing the 1979 eclipse in Washington. Of course we didn't know of
each other then.

The 1979 eclipse was heavily clouded out here in Vancouver. It was a
deep
partial eclipse here, and it got really dark: the street lights came
on. But
that was about it. There have been some partial eclipses since then
(most
recently in 2002), but it's just not the same. The next total eclipse
here is,
according to Fred Espenak's web site, 2 August 2771. I doubt I'll see
it. :-)

I already have 21 August 2017 blocked off in my calendar at work
(probably
eastern Oregon), though I'm sure I'll see a solar eclipse somwhere
else in
the interim. When I got back from Turkey last year (my first total
eclipse),
I promptly ordered a copy of Meeus's book and have done lots of number
crunching. I've drawn some pretty pictures with the mapping software I
use at work.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Non sequitur. Your ACKs are
Grid: CN89mg uncoordinated."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Nomad the Network Engineer

Old August 26th 07, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

"Bill Becker" wrote in message

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Bill Becker" wrote

It looks like totality runs right through Casper Wyoming. :^)

Who else could get lucky barring cloud cover?

You're just aware of that now? :-)

Yeah, even though my astro interest is at an ebb, I still check out SAA
and SpaceWeather.com where I found out aboot it.

BILL!!! How can you SAY that??? MY interest comes and goes a LITTLE bit,
but never VERY far... I'm not only still here, I visit the group several
times a DAY!!! Don't say as much as I used to (probably a GOOD thing), but
I'm here, if, and when, I can help... But I DO have a support group, and
it's headed by Howard and Sasquatch Lester... Well, the 'squatch is
probably better known on rec.birds, but still, were it not for them...

Welcome back! Another lost soul back from the dead!

Thanks for the welcome but I'm pretty much a lurker now. At least until
the Astro bug bites me on the ass yet again. ;^)

Well, DAMMIT!!! DELURK your BUTT!!!

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming
where I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

I'd like to be a part of that venture...

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old August 26th 07, 03:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"laura halliday" wrote

I already have 21 August 2017 blocked off in my calendar at work
(probably
eastern Oregon), though I'm sure I'll see a solar eclipse somwhere
else in
the interim.

Most places on the lee side of a mountain range like the Cascades should
have good chances, especially since it will be mid-morning before clouds
have a chance to build up. On June 8, 1918 a famous mid-Saturday afternoon
eclipse occurred over Baker, OR, beautifully painted by Howard Russell
Butler*, and written about extensively in Mitchell's Eclipses of the Sun.
That book has to be the best of all when it comes to comprehensive
descriptions of eclipse adventures.

* I did a search on him and came up with this excerpt:

"At the age of sixty-two, painter Howard Russell Butler was invited to join
a U.S. Naval Observatory expedition to Oregon to chronicle the solar eclipse
of June 8, 1918. "As a portrait painter," he wrote in Natural History
("Painting Eclipses and Lunar Landscapes," July-August 1926), "I generally
asked for ten sittings of two hours each. But all the time they would allow
me on this occasion was 112 1/10 seconds." His finished painting eventually
graced the Hayden Planetarium's rotunda."

Old August 26th 07, 05:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Nakamoto

Howard Lester wrote:
"David Nakamoto" wrote

Ahem ! Are we going to remember all of this in 10 YEARS??!!! (^_^)
But I'm planning to be somewhere in that region at that time, so perhaps
we'll run into one another. (^_^)

David, it'd be the ultimate s.a.a. gathering. The idea of a national s.a.a.
gathering was brought up years ago... remember?

Howard

Ahem ! Given some of the "personalities" that inhabit this group, is
that a good idea ?! (^_^)

--- Dave
Old August 26th 07, 04:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Becker

"Marty" wrote in message
Thanks for the welcome but I'm pretty
much a lurker now. At least until the
Astro bug bites me on the ass yet again.
;^)

Well it IS nice hearing from you again Bill!
Marty

Hehe, thanks.
Your gravity keeps on pulling me back into the fold. ;^)

Old August 26th 07, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"David Nakamoto" wrote

David, it'd be the ultimate s.a.a. gathering. The idea of a national
s.a.a. gathering was brought up years ago... remember?

Howard

Ahem ! Given some of the "personalities" that inhabit this group, is that
a good idea ?! (^_^)

--- Dave

Well, I did follow that up with the intimation that, at such a gathering,
we'd have the opportunity to permanently remove some offensive
personalities! We'd just sacrifice them in order to bring back the sun....

;-)

Old August 26th 07, 05:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty

Howard was saying
Well, I did follow that up with the
intimation that, at such a gathering,
we'd have the opportunity to
permanently remove some offensive
personalities! We'd just sacrifice them in
order to bring back the sun....

And I'd be happy to preside over the festivities of the sacrifice!
Marty

Old August 26th 07, 08:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Esmail[_3_]

Howard Lester wrote:
"Esmail" wrote

Mike Simmons and I were planning to meet in east/southeastern Wyoming
where I think it'll be the best chances for clear sky at 10:30 AM.

And I suppose *my* invitation to that meeting got lost in the mail???

You mean Mike never invited you??? That BUM! ;-)

ah .. it's Mike's fault!! .. good to know!

Old August 26th 07, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Esmail[_3_]

Howard Lester wrote:
"David Nakamoto" wrote

David, it'd be the ultimate s.a.a. gathering. The idea of a national
s.a.a. gathering was brought up years ago... remember?

Howard

Ahem ! Given some of the "personalities" that inhabit this group, is that
a good idea ?! (^_^)

--- Dave

Well, I did follow that up with the intimation that, at such a gathering,
we'd have the opportunity to permanently remove some offensive
personalities! We'd just sacrifice them in order to bring back the sun....

Ah .. leave it to Howard to come up with creative problem solution.
In that case perhaps Shawn and Nancy could turn up too.

Lunar Eclipse (03.03.07) and Solar Eclipse (18.03.07) Harry Hayfield Misc 3 February 25th 07 08:23 AM
China Manned Lunar Landing 2017 Ed Kyle Policy 17 November 9th 05 11:31 PM
China plans moon-walk for 2017 Ra♥ïⁿg L♂♀♫iε Misc 0 November 7th 05 12:54 PM
Solar eclipse shazzbat UK Astronomy 9 September 14th 05 03:12 PM
Solar Eclipse help Reb ban Solar 2 December 28th 03 04:40 PM