Fun with Physics

Old February 14th 05, 08:35 PM
Tom Kirke

Default Fun with Physics

Here is a recent paper posted to arXiv.org, I thought
the title alone was worth a post, and as a bonus at no
extra cost, you get the complete abstract.

==
astro-ph/0502237:

Title: The axis of evil
Authors: Kate Land, Joao Magueijo

We examine previous claims for a preferred axis at $(b,l) approx
(60,-100)$ in the cosmic radiation anisotropy, by generalizing the concept
of multipole planarity to any shape preference (a concept we define
mathematically). Contrary to earlier claims, we find that the amount of
power concentrated in planar modes for $\ell=2,3$ is not inconsistent
with isotropy and Gaussianity.
The multipoles' alignment, however, is indeed anomalous, and extends
up to $\ell=5$ rejecting statistical isotropy with a probability in excess
of 99.9%. There is also an uncanny correlation of azimuthal phases between
$\ell=3$ and $\ell=5$. We are unable to blame these effects on foreground
contamination or large-scale systematic errors. We show how this
reappraisal
may be crucial in identifying the theoretical model behind the anomaly.
==

WARNING - I have no idea if the authors are arXiv kooks or simply
have a flair for a fancy title.

Dark skies!

tom

--
We have discovered a therapy ( NOT a cure )
for the common cold. Play tuba for an hour.