Earth's Rotational Axis Has Shifted???

Old July 25th 10, 03:46 AM posted to alt.alien.visitors,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.usa,sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Litus Arare

Default Earth's Rotational Axis Has Shifted

Update:

A little while ago, Venus was in the WNW at sunset. Now, at this time
(check the time stamp), Venus is just South of West.

This malady must have fixed itself.
Old July 25th 10, 08:51 PM posted to alt.alien.visitors,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.usa,sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jul 25, 4:46*am, "Litus Arare" wrote:
Update:

A little while ago, Venus was in the WNW at sunset. *Now, at this time
(check the time stamp), Venus is just South of West.

This malady must have fixed itself. *

Au contraire. Now we have two Venuses and two sunsets to worry
about! ;-)
Old August 17th 10, 03:19 AM posted to alt.alien.visitors,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.usa,sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy
Odysseus[_1_]

In article
,
Giga2 wrote:

snip

[... T]he sun is setting almost exactly due north (20.55). I am at
roughly 50n degrees in the UK. Is that normal?

This was almost completely north, maybe 10-15 degrees West of due
North at the most.

JFTR that can't be right. (Sorry to bring up an old thread -- just now
catching up on my reading ...) Unless you were in northwestern Scotland
or the Orkneys, the sun wouldn't have set as late as that; from 50°N
(Lizard Point, Cornwall? -- I assume the south coust of England, anyway)
its bearing at sunset would have been about 55° W of North, and it
wouldn't get as far north as you said until near the end of astronomical
twilight. Did you actually see the disc cross the horizon? During
twilight low clouds can remain illuminated from beneath, and it's
possible that one such might look as if the sun were behind it.

--
Odysseus