Orion Nebula: The Book

Old March 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Bill Meyers

Default Orion Nebula: The Book

The Orion Nebula: Where Stars are born, by C. Robert O'Dell, a
professional astronomer and emeritus Professor of Astronomy who devoted
a lifetime to studies of the Orion Nebula, was published last year by
the Belknap Press of the Harvard University Press.
In this slender volume O'Dell takes you through the entire history
of observational astronomy, from before Galileo to the successors of the
Hubble Space Telescope, including the history of early observations,
drawings, the optical telescope, astrophotography, spectrography,
charge coupled devices, radio telescopes, interferometry, infrared
astronomy, and more, as background to a wonderful discussion of the
Orion Nebula itself. I learned a great deal from this and I can observe
M42 with a lot more insight after reading O'Dell's book..
O'Dell's writing style is easy and colloquial, and precise. As a
stylist, he is right up there with Timothy Ferris and Carl Sagan.
I don't know if Sky & Telescope has reviewed this book yet but it
should. It is a gem, a wonderful read. As a reviewer I would suggest Jay
Reynolds Freeman, a virtuoso observer, consummate wag, good prose
stylist, and possessor of an undergraduate degree from Cal Tech and a
Ph.D. in astrophysics from Berkeley with a specialty in studies of
radiation ( which is obviously crucial to studies of the Orion Nebula)..

If Sky & Tel has already reviewed it, I would appreciate a
reference to the review: I may have missed it, and it presents a good
opportunity for Astronomy or Amateur Astronomy to print a review.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Old March 31st 04, 01:54 AM
Bill Meyers

I received an email just now from Gary Seronik saying it had been "Briefly
Noted" and there were no plans to give it a full review. A pity, as I think it
may become a classic.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

lightshow wrote:

Bill Meyers wrote:
[...]

Your post kind of makes me wonder why S&T didn't publish the "fine
read?" g