Satellites thru the Orion Nebula

Old January 20th 04, 06:16 PM
Astro-Geek

Default Satellites thru the Orion Nebula

A couple of times recently, while viewing the Orion Nebula on a monitor
using a Stellacam EX video camera, I've noticed slow-moving satellites
traversing the field of view. I am certain that these are geo-stationary
(geo-synchronous?) satellites that tend to hang out near the celestial
equator. Does anyone know of a site that predicts when these machines will
pass across M42?? I would like to make a short .avi of the event. Tonight
will be clear here in Boston, Mass. and I was wondering how to find out what
time to be ready... Anyone know of a website?? Does Heavens-Above list
these crossings??

THANKS!!

AstroGeek

Old January 20th 04, 06:54 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Also remember to check out CalSky which has a dedicated link to geosats.
As for these "crossing" M42, the answer is a definite yes and, in fact,
they should be in the vicinity of the belt in Orion. These geosats are
at around 38-deg altitude and the belt of Orion is a nice and quick way
to locate these geosats.

Anthony.

Old January 20th 04, 07:02 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Doink wrote:

Heavens-above does show most as far I know

Not that I cam tell. Unless you know the name of the satellite ahead of
time...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Outer Space/NASA Pictures . Space Station 0 September 8th 03 04:03 PM
Outer Space Pictures . Space Station 0 September 8th 03 03:51 PM
Chandra Reveals X-Ray Flow In Horshoe Nebula Ron Baalke Science 0 August 20th 03 05:27 PM
Whats in the sky today [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 July 14th 03 04:24 AM