The river

Old February 12th 10, 08:54 AM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_5_]

Default The river

We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.
Old February 13th 10, 10:12 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Juergen Barsuhn

jacob navia schrieb:
We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.

The link leads only to an abstract of an 11 pages paper.
This paper appears to be unaccessible. Regards Jurgen
Old February 13th 10, 06:50 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_2_]

Juergen Barsuhn a écrit :
jacob navia schrieb:
We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.

The link leads only to an abstract of an 11 pages paper.
This paper appears to be unaccessible. Regards Jurgen

No, just click in the upper right corner: PDF, and you get
the 11 pages. I have just tried (again) and it works without problems
Old February 13th 10, 06:51 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply][_3_]

jacob navia wrote:
| We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
| direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)
|
| http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516
|
| That article is completely mind blowing.

Juergen Barsuhn replied:
The link leads only to an abstract of an 11 pages paper.
This paper appears to be unaccessible. Regards Jurgen

I had no trouble downloading the full paper just now: go to the url
Jacob Navia gave, and in the top right corner of the page there are
download links for "PDF", "Postscript", and "Other formats".

More generally, arXiv policy is that all arXiv preprints be freely
accessible, so if a paper on arXiv.org is truly inaccessible, that's
a technical failure, a.k.a. bug (which, if confirmed, should be
reported to the arXiv administrators).

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
Dept of Astronomy, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Old February 15th 10, 10:13 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Juergen Barsuhn

Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply] schrieb:
jacob navia wrote:
| We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
| direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)
|
| http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516
|
| That article is completely mind blowing.

Juergen Barsuhn replied:
The link leads only to an abstract of an 11 pages paper.
This paper appears to be unaccessible. Regards Jurgen

I had no trouble downloading the full paper just now: go to the url
Jacob Navia gave, and in the top right corner of the page there are
download links for "PDF", "Postscript", and "Other formats".

Thank you all very much, also for several eMails. I do not
understand why I did not see the way to the link. Regards
Jurgen
Old February 17th 10, 09:15 AM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_5_]

jacob navia a écrit :
We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.

Nobody comments that?

The whole visible universe is moving at 400 Km/sec in a single direction
(700 clusters of galaxies measured), and nobody says anything?

Or maybe everybody is just speechless like me...

:-)

jacob
Old February 17th 10, 12:53 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply

In article , jacob navia
writes:

I haven't yet read the paper, so please correct any obvious wrong
assumptions on my part.

jacob navia a écrit :
We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.

Nobody comments that?

The whole visible universe is moving at 400 Km/sec in a single direction
(700 clusters of galaxies measured), and nobody says anything?

First, it can't be the ENTIRE visible universe, since motion implies a
reference.

Second, it has been known for a long time that we (meaning at least the
Local Group) are moving as part of a large-scale bulk flow. The
magnitude and direction are compatible with the observed CMB dipole.
What is QUALITATIVELY new in this paper?
Old February 17th 10, 03:14 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_5_]

Phillip Helbig---undress to reply a écrit :

jacob navia a écrit :
We are in the middle of a river flowing at around 400 Km/sec in the
direction of Galactic l = 282 degree (+/- 11) and b = 6 degree (+/- 6)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5516

That article is completely mind blowing.

Nobody comments that?

The whole visible universe is moving at 400 Km/sec in a single direction
(700 clusters of galaxies measured), and nobody says anything?

First, it can't be the ENTIRE visible universe, since motion implies a
reference.

The reference is the CMB. I cite the national geographic article

Hot gas in galaxy clusters warms the microwave background radiation, and
a very tiny component of this temperature fluctuation also contains in
itself information about cluster velocity

If a cluster were moving faster or slower than the universe's background
radiation, you'd expect to see the background heated slightly in that
region of the universe—the result of a sort of electron-scattering
"friction" between the cluster's hot gas and particles in the background
radiation.

Because these fluctuations are so faint, the team studied more than 700
galaxy clusters.

Second, it has been known for a long time that we (meaning at least the
Local Group) are moving as part of a large-scale bulk flow. The
magnitude and direction are compatible with the observed CMB dipole.
What is QUALITATIVELY new in this paper?

The fact that is not the local group but 700 galaxy clusters that are
moving...

I could be wrong of course, I am not a professional. Please take my
opinions with caution.
Old February 18th 10, 09:52 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Hans Aberg[_2_]

jacob navia wrote:
The whole visible universe is moving at 400 Km/sec in a single direction
(700 clusters of galaxies measured), and nobody says anything?

The fact that is not the local group but 700 galaxy clusters that are
moving...

We are part of the Virgo supercluster, which the Wikipedia says has at
least 100 galaxy clusters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgo_Supercluster
It also says it is one of millions of superclusters in the observable
universe.

According to some astronomers, one do not see larger structures,
"hyperclusters", than superclusters, or beyond about one to two billion
light years in diameter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercluster

So if they really studied 700 clusters, and not superclusters, that is
just a part of a few nearby superclusters. Even if it were 700
superclusters, it would still be a tiny part of the observable universe.

Perhaps it means that some of the nearby superclusters have a common motion.

Hans
Old February 19th 10, 09:04 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Juergen Barsuhn

jacob navia schrieb:
I could be wrong of course, I am not a professional. Please take my
opinions with caution.

It seems that this relates to observations going back to
2008 and already discussed in a contrubution of the English
Wikepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow
and there called "Dark Flow". This news has already found
its way to the German broadcasting program Deutschlandfunk at
http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/forschak/1118326/
where you can not only read the text but also listen to the
original broadcast. - Well, this is only for people who
understand German.

Does the Wikipedia article report on the same topic as your
link did?

All the best Jurgen

[Mod. note: quoted text trimmed -- mjh]