ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1)

Old October 22nd 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price

Default ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1)

From Blue Knob, PA. 16 September 2007. Taken with an NP-101 at F/5.4.
One 5 minute exposure taken with a Hutech modified Canon 350D at
400ASA. Full frame but reduced to 1/4 of original. Raw image, no
processing.

Old October 22nd 07, 07:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Robert Price" wrote in message
From Blue Knob, PA. 16 September 2007. Taken with an NP-101 at F/5.4.
One 5 minute exposure taken with a Hutech modified Canon 350D at
400ASA. Full frame but reduced to 1/4 of original. Raw image, no
processing.

Hi Robert. Nice result. The modified Hutech really works out well for
you. I hope you don't mind, but I messed around with that image a bit to
see what I could do with it in photoshop (just to keep my reflexes sharp,
since my scope is currently out of commission). Here's what I came up
with. I hope I didn't screw it up too badly. I think it brought out the
nebula in a bit more detail. Of course, this is a low resolution image.
I'm sure the original would work out a lot better.

George

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1342
Old October 22nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price

Default ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1) - M42_my_process.jpg (0/1)

George,

nice process, it brings out the red near the center. my process would
have brought out more of the outer nebilosity, but at the expense of
the center. any idea of how to combine the two?

Bob

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 02:31:46 -0400, "George"
wrote:

"Robert Price" wrote in message
.. .
From Blue Knob, PA. 16 September 2007. Taken with an NP-101 at F/5.4.

Old October 22nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price

Default ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1) - M42_my_process.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42_my_process.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1344
Old October 22nd 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price

Default ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1) - M42_my_process_v2.jpg (0/1)

George,

another version, increased color saturation

wrote:

"Robert Price" wrote in message
.. .
From Blue Knob, PA. 16 September 2007. Taken with an NP-101 at F/5.4.

Old October 22nd 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price

Default ASTRO: modified and unmodified Canon 350D comparison - M42_5min_16Sept2007_350DH.jpg (0/1) - M42_my_process_v2.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42_my_process_v2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1345
Old October 22nd 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Interesting comparison of the two cameras.

The modified but unprocessed one looks a lot like a 10 minute shot I did
on film in the 60's from my driveway in Lincoln, NE. The processed one
looks a lot like a 2 hour film shot of it I did in the 60's on "High
Speed Ektachrome" on a very cold (sub zero) night from the country. I
was a lot younger back then. Don't think I'd survive at the guiding
eyepiece for that long even on a warmer night for that long any more.
You couldn't blow up the print much more than this shot is displayed
before it would show grain.

Now to get a 30 second shot of the core region to matte in with the
longer exposure. Stacking several should reduce the noise to where it
would enlarge a lot further as well.

Rick

Old October 22nd 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

With some work the unmodified image can be made to work it appears. Odd
how the Running Man nebula seems to fade in the unmodified shot. Might
have something to do with pushing the red so hard. I'd expect it to
stand out more than it did in the modified shot rather than less.

Unprocessed the unmodified shot looks a lot like some other color films
of the 60's. Can't recall what ones I tried back then as the only one
good for astro work was High Speed Ektachrome. All the others either
added a strong blue or green color cast or like your shot, lacked red.
Most also were very insensitive after 5 minutes making long exposures
useless unless the weather was really cold. Then along came the dry ice
cooled camera. That was a mess to deal with in the field but we did it
anyway.

Things are so much easier today!

Rick

Old October 22nd 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Robert Price" wrote in message
George,

nice process, it brings out the red near the center. my process would
have brought out more of the outer nebilosity, but at the expense of
the center. any idea of how to combine the two?

Bob

Good question. Let me work on that and get b ack to you.

George

Old October 22nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Robert Price" wrote in message

Nice. I like that one a lot better.

George