Gyro failed

Old April 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
bob haller

Default Gyro failed

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/2523944
:
My opinion is right
Old April 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Jim Kingdon

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/2523944

The good news is that they think they'll be able to repair the failed
CMG with a spacewalk, using spare parts they have on board.
Old April 29th 04, 05:01 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/2523944

The good news is that they think they'll be able to repair the failed
CMG with a spacewalk, using spare parts they have on board.

Right. They have one bad CMG with a good power supply, and one good CMG
with a bad power supply. Between them, they can get one CMG back and
running.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old April 29th 04, 09:41 AM
Doug...

In article ,
says...
Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/2523944

The good news is that they think they'll be able to repair the failed
CMG with a spacewalk, using spare parts they have on board.

Right. They have one bad CMG with a good power supply, and one good CMG
with a bad power supply. Between them, they can get one CMG back and
running.

But, of course, one of the problems is that the area in which the CMGs
and their power units are located isn't very accessible via handholds
and tie-downs -- it almost needs the robot arm to provide a work
platform. And there won't be anyone inside to operate the arm to
position a work platform.

I'm sure they'll figure out a way to handle it -- after all, Skylab
wasn't designed for a little guy in a hard suit to tie a nylon rope to a
stuck solar panel and use his legs to pull it free (thus sending him ass
over teakettle out to the end of his tether). I guess I'm just a little
more concerned in this case -- without American suits for both guys
(which AIUI is the situation on ISS right now) there are no SAFERs, and
if someone kicks out too far or gets loose from their tether, ain't
nothing to be done but watch and listen as he floats near the ISS until
he dies...

Doug

Old April 29th 04, 04:02 PM
Jim Kingdon

Right. They have one bad CMG with a good power supply, and one good CMG
with a bad power supply. Between them, they can get one CMG back and
running.

If I'm reading the articles right, they have multiple choices for
where to get a good power supply.

Four spare remote power control units are available on the station,
including one that is brand new.
http://spaceflightnow.com/station/exp9/040422gyro.html

That article also has a mention of some of the issues with the arm and
such.
Old April 30th 04, 08:14 PM
Ian Stirling

Doug... wrote:
In article ,
says...
Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
[...]

Wouldn't it be possible to rendevous with the floater with the soyuz?
Can the soyuz equipment survive a few minutes of vacuum and someone
in a suit egress/enter through either of the hatches?

Old May 1st 04, 11:52 PM
Ian Stirling

nmp wrote:
Op Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:14:35 +0000, schreef Ian Stirling:

Wouldn't it be possible to rendevous with the floater with the soyuz?
Can the soyuz equipment survive a few minutes of vacuum and someone in a
suit egress/enter through either of the hatches?

In light of these risks, I think the ISS astro/cosmonauts need some sort
of space scooter. Several of them.

Like this:

http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/space/set/pic-885-1.html

This would seem an ideal solution.
The only question is where to get carbon/carbon composite bricks.

Old May 3rd 04, 05:13 AM
Jorge R. Frank

nmp wrote in
news
Op Sat, 01 May 2004 22:52:04 +0000, schreef Ian Stirling:

nmp wrote:

Like this:

http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/space/set/pic-885-1.html

This would seem an ideal solution.
The only question is where to get carbon/carbon composite bricks.

Wouldn't it be great, having Lego in space

But on a more serious note: has any of the parties involved in the ISS
ever considered space scooters that have at least some autonomous
operational range?

Not seriously. Most ideas under consideration are straightforward scale-ups
of SAFER, the mini-backpack used by the US spacesuits.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old May 3rd 04, 03:04 PM
jeff findley

nmp writes:

In light of these risks, I think the ISS astro/cosmonauts need some sort
of space scooter. Several of them.

Like this:

http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/space/set/pic-885-1.html

Dude, there are better solutions to this on Lugnet and Brickshelf.
There is always this classic design:

Just stay away from shuttle replacements like this space TRUC:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=33238

;-)

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old May 4th 04, 02:14 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"jeff findley" wrote in message
nmp writes:

Dude, there are better solutions to this on Lugnet and Brickshelf.
There is always this classic design:

I note they get the details like his helmet correct. :-)