Another article with illustrations on Kliper

Old April 27th 05, 05:54 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Another article with illustrations on Kliper

Another article with illustrations on Kliper
he http://www.inauka.ru/photos/article52303.html

Old April 28th 05, 01:03 AM
Damon Hill

"Rusty" wrote in
ups.com:

http://www.energia.ru/english/energi...s_release_11-3
0.html

This "Parom" cargo 'complex' is news to me; any ideas on the
configuration? Might it be a cargo-only version of Kliper, or
a completely disposable system? There doesn't seem to be
much need for down-mass transport, so I'm not sure if a
reusable unmanned cargo vehicle would be all that useful.

--Damon
Old April 28th 05, 10:38 AM
Revision

"The new manned Russian shuttle Clipper will make its first flight from
Moscow to Paris to attend the Le Bourget Air Show in the summer of 2006.
The trip will be made via a flight aboard an air transport aircraft.

"Roskosmosa company representative Constantine Kreydenko said that a
seizure of the Clipper for bad debt collection was unlikely and that the
matter with the Swiss company back in 2001 had been settled.

"The fundamental design of the Clipper has been finalized. The vehicle
can be used for earth orbit or trans-lunar missions, and plans are to
show it at Le Bourget, according to Roskosmosa chief Anatoliy Perminov.

"The ship will be very comfortable. 'We have always been disturbed by the
small volume of the crew compartment in the Soyuz,' said Perminov. The
Clipper will provide armchair seating for six cosmonauts. It can landed
on a conventional paved runway.

"Perminov noted that the possibilty of launching Clipper on the Zenit
rocket is now being investigated. In contrast to Buran, which was
attached to Energiya on the side, the Clipper would be mounted on top and
would be more economical to operate.

"The mass of Clipper is 14.5 t. including cargo of 700 kg. and fuel mass
of 500 kg. Descent profile features a mild 2.5G load, though the ship is
rated for 25 Gs."

ITAR-TASS [Transcribed from computer translation; errors probable.-KB]

Old April 28th 05, 03:00 PM
dmitrik

I remember reading some info about it from Energia. Basically "Parom"
("Ferry") is supposed to be an unmanned space tug in LEO. Bulk cargo
(food, water, fuel) is to be launched into orbit in simple containers,
picked up by the Parom and then maneuvred and docked to the destination
(ISS or the hypothetical future Mars ship). Parom itself is designed
for 5-10 years of on-orbit operations. I think it is based on Progress
PAO but I might be wrong. There is not much info about it, I guess it's
one of those "if only we had enough money" projects.

Old May 4th 05, 09:58 AM
Damon Hill

"dmitrik" wrote in
oups.com:

I remember reading some info about it from Energia.
Basically "Parom" ("Ferry") is supposed to be an unmanned
space tug in LEO. Bulk cargo (food, water, fuel) is to be
launched into orbit in simple containers, picked up by the
Parom and then maneuvred and docked to the destination (ISS
or the hypothetical future Mars ship). Parom itself is
designed for 5-10 years of on-orbit operations. I think it
is based on Progress PAO but I might be wrong. There is not
much info about it, I guess it's one of those "if only we
had enough money" projects.

I know--if only I had a trillion or so dollars to play with...
Anatoly Zak at RussianSpaceWeb says he has more information
about Parom which he will be posting soon.

--Damon

Old May 18th 05, 11:03 AM
dmitrik

More Kliper pictures:
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...032/index.html

Old May 18th 05, 04:24 PM
Damon Hill

"dmitrik" wrote in
oups.com:

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...allery_032/ind
ex.html

Fascinating. Much more detail!

Kliper's design is becoming more detailed and refined. I'm
intrigued by the fold-back seats with shock absorber pedestals
that fit into sockets in the floor, presumably for landing.
That will be an interesting sensation for the crew during
the terminal landing phase as the seats (presumably) automatically
rotate back.

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...llery/gallery_
032/pages/IMG_4626.html

The crew cabin appears quite roomy, despite the looming bulk
of the parachute compartment that protrudes inside.

A number of photos of the winged Kliper variant, also.

--Damon
Old May 18th 05, 06:43 PM
Jim Oberg

Thank you, Dmitrik.

If you'd like to talk further,
share your real email with me
via my home page www.jamesoberg.com

Old May 19th 05, 01:39 AM
dmitrik

Jim Oberg wrote:

Hey, I'm just a guy who happen to follow the news and speak russian
And don't tell me you haven't seen any of that:
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c.../info_nk.shtml