Dynamics of an Earth Ring

Old October 4th 04, 06:42 PM
Mighty Krell

"Mike Combs" wrote in message
"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...

No
matter what kind of orbital colony you establish, their effluence will
need disposal into space and sooner or later you'll end up with a ring
around the habitat scattered along its orbit around the Earth.

Unless you establish the kind that breaks waste products down into their
constituent elements for re-use.

Ahh, a MAGIC space station.

Old October 4th 04, 08:35 PM
Tim Auton

"Mighty Krell" wrote:
"Mike Combs" wrote in message
"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...

No
matter what kind of orbital colony you establish, their effluence will
need disposal into space and sooner or later you'll end up with a ring
around the habitat scattered along its orbit around the Earth.

Unless you establish the kind that breaks waste products down into their
constituent elements for re-use.

Ahh, a MAGIC space station.

You've lived your entire life in one. There has been a lot of research
into biospheres. Artificial ones aren't quite perfected but they are
certainly possible. That's just bio-waste, of course. Crud left over
from mining operations may truly be waste, but I'm sure it could be
used as reaction mass and directed into the sun or some other harmless
place.

Tim
--
Do you want your computer to trust a software vendor more than you?
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
Old October 4th 04, 11:33 PM
Derek Lyons

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

And it's not just menstruation. Ask anyone who works in a crisis
monitoring center, an ER or a birthing center at a decent-sized hospital
how the phases of the moon affect their work.

They tell you how they *think* the phases of the moon effect their
work. But several studies by CSICOP suggest strongly that the
apparent correlation isn't supported by evidence.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old October 5th 04, 12:28 AM
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

There is about a 30% correlation between
lunar phase and menstruation, much higher
than can be explained by other factors.

First, let me just say that you guys are killing me.

Second, I agree with Herb.

I'll spare you the gory details, but allow me to
assure the naysayers among you that for me--and
for the women I know who keep track of such
things--there is a definite correlation.

I have maintained a personal calendar for more
than 20 years, and I know without a doubt that my
cycle begins with the new moon, in spite of a
medical condition that is notorious for causing
long cycles.

I can't believe I'm posting this.

rl

Old October 5th 04, 02:00 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message

And it's not just menstruation. Ask anyone who works in a crisis
monitoring center, an ER or a birthing center at a decent-sized

hospital
how the phases of the moon affect their work.

And look at the second article listed there which showed zero

correlation
between lunar cycles and crisis call centers.

And look at the many others where there is a correlation/

Agreed. At this point I'd say the jury is still out.

As for women's menstrual cycles, why only humans and not all mammals?

Good question; however, many mammals don't menstruate at all; many
reabsorb the endometrium rather than shed it making it difficult to
measure the effects (if any). More interesting to me is that studies
showing a correlation indicate about 30% of women menstruate within
about +/- a day of the lunar cycle; I wonder why 30% rather than 4% (as
you might expect); if 30%, why not 60% or 90%? Those are the more
interesting questions.

And why 28 days when millions of years ago the moon's period was

different?

Menstruation (absent hormonal contraceptives) is rarely 28 days; that's
a mean not an absolute. Two generations-plus of women with relatively
easy access to oral contraceptives have conditioned people to just
accept that "a woman's cycle is 28 days." It isn't, necessarily.

Right. Point is the mean is still about 28 days (as you reference above).
Or to put it another way, why are 30% of women menstruating around the
CURRENT lunar cycle?

In
fact, it's usually a little longer absent external hormonal influences
to synchronize it. For a real skewer in the stats, look at women who
get contraceptive injections or who have hormone-laced IUD's implanted
(my wife has one of those) - after a month or so, they don't have
periods at all, or if they do they're so slight as to be nearly
unnoticeable.

Neither is the lunar cycle exactly 28 days. The moon's orbital period is
27.3 days, yet because of the Earth's own orbit around the sun, the
moon's synodic period is about 29.5 days. The phases of the moon
therefore aren't 28 days either.

So, a more specific answer to your exact question is: how do we know
millions of years ago that women's periods weren't different? We
already know they are affected by pheromones from other women in close
proximity, hormones from contraceptives, stress hormones (e.g.,
reactions of the body from emotional and physical duress), nutrition,
exercise levels (ask a 16 year old gymnast with 2% body fat and see if
she's ever had a period in her life), and so forth. Why should
gravitational tides be any different?

Right so again, if the cycle is so easily distrupted and changed, how can
the moon have such a large singular effect?

(Then of course as I like to point out, 50% of all births occur within a
week either side of the New Moon. :-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

Old October 5th 04, 02:01 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote in message

I can't believe I'm posting this.

You're not the only one. :-)

(now knowing far more about Rhonda than I ever wanted to. :-)
rl

Old October 5th 04, 09:34 AM
AA Institute

Tim Auton wrote in message . ..
"Mighty Krell" wrote:
"Mike Combs" wrote in message
"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...

No
matter what kind of orbital colony you establish, their effluence will
need disposal into space and sooner or later you'll end up with a ring
around the habitat scattered along its orbit around the Earth.

Unless you establish the kind that breaks waste products down into their
constituent elements for re-use.

Ahh, a MAGIC space station.

You've lived your entire life in one. There has been a lot of research
into biospheres. Artificial ones aren't quite perfected but they are
certainly possible. That's just bio-waste, of course. Crud left over
from mining operations may truly be waste, but I'm sure it could be
used as reaction mass and directed into the sun or some other harmless
place.

Absolutely; all the unneeded items like clothes, expired foods,
household waste, etc on the ISS today are periodically despatched via
an un-manned Russian 'Progress' freighter, which plunges them into the
Earth's atmosphere for harmless burn-up.

However, managing the waste from a microscopic size crew of just 3
people vs a colony of say 2,000 on the *Celestial Titanic* being
envisioned here, is a whole new ball game! A MAGIC formula is needed,
or we end up with a "Lord of the Earth Rings" kind of scenario...

AAI
Old October 5th 04, 10:02 AM
Paul Blay

"AA Institute" wrote ...
However, managing the waste from a microscopic size crew of just 3
people vs a colony of say 2,000 on the *Celestial Titanic* being
envisioned here, is a whole new ball game! A MAGIC formula is needed,
or we end up with a "Lord of the Earth Rings" kind of scenario...

No more MAGIC than is required for a colony of 2,000 people in the first
place.