...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

Old May 13th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

"What began as a desire and need to carry mail by air
became today's global system of passenger airlines."
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...rmail/POL6.htm

There can be little doubt that the efforts of the US govt
to jump start commercial aviation has changed the
world substantially and for the better.

The military started off by providing the initial technology,
rikkety Jennys, and some daring pilots. But the govt provided
something else far more substantial to creating the
world-changing industry of commercial aviation.

A market! A cargo! The US Airmail.

So....what is the market/cargo for space?

For those at Nasa, I feel it's necessary to explain what a market
system does. It has mostly to do with /supply and demand./
So....what does space have in abundance that earth does not?
What do we need on earth the most which space can
provide the best?

A simple max/min problem of ....suppply and demand.
Concerning a market between .....space and earth.

Hmm, we seem to need lots of energy, clean energy, here
on earth. Space seems to have plenty of solar power.

A market make in heaven. '

Nasa's goal should be to provide a cargo and offer
lucritive contracts to put it up. Cargo like this.

Science at Nasa

Beam it Down, Scotty!

"Solar power collected in space and beamed to Earth
could be an environmentally friendly solution to our
planet's growing energy problems."
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23mar_1.htm

Jonathan

ps; I'd normally link to the extensive Space Solar Power
home page at Nasa, with all the testimony and detailed
studies. But a few weeks after I began ranting about this
and linking to the page, it....disappeared!

They took the Space Solar Power home page down, or
moved it somewhere not easy to find. They seem rather
sensitive to this issue, just one more reason to push it.
If anyone can find it, I'd appreciate it.

Old May 13th 06, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Solar power requires massive infrastructure. You would need a cost per
Kg about 2 orders of magnitude lower than the current.
Also, IMHO, SPS will not be able to provide more than a small fraction
of energy needs. Fission is by far preferable in the foreseeable future.

Old May 13th 06, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Hyperboreea wrote:

Solar power requires massive infrastructure. You would need a cost per
Kg about 2 orders of magnitude lower than the current.
Also, IMHO, SPS will not be able to provide more than a small fraction
of energy needs. Fission is by far preferable in the foreseeable future.

Wanna see something neat?:
http://www.enviromission.com.au/project/project.htm

Pat
Old May 13th 06, 08:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

"jonathan" wrote:

There can be little doubt that the efforts of the US govt
to jump start commercial aviation has changed the
world substantially and for the better.

The military started off by providing the initial technology,
rikkety Jennys, and some daring pilots. But the govt provided
something else far more substantial to creating the
world-changing industry of commercial aviation.

A market! A cargo! The US Airmail.

So....what is the market/cargo for space?

Do keep in mind that the US Gov sponsored the Airmail program for
multiple reasons - of which 'jumpstarting the aviation industry' only
one, if not a side effect.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old May 13th 06, 09:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

"Hyperboreea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Solar power requires massive infrastructure. You would need a cost per
Kg about 2 orders of magnitude lower than the current.
Also, IMHO, SPS will not be able to provide more than a small fraction
of energy needs. Fission is by far preferable in the foreseeable future.

But fission won't help create a space based industry.
It won't give Nasa a reason for being, larger budgets
and long lasting public and Congressional support.

Fission is also massively expensive and a typical
reactor can take 15 or 20 years to be built. And
a dramatic increase in fission will require a solution
to the nuclear waste issue that has yet to be solved.
But I suppose we can turn Nasa into a great big
Waste Management company, and have them
blast the nuclear waste into the sun~

Besides, I'm not talking about the foreseeable future.
I'm talking about the future. Ultimately, say a century
or two down the road, where will our energy come
from? Solar power is the obvious conclusion.

The future should define the present.

Old May 13th 06, 09:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Pat Flannery a écrit :

Hyperboreea wrote:

Solar power requires massive infrastructure. You would need a cost per
Kg about 2 orders of magnitude lower than the current.
Also, IMHO, SPS will not be able to provide more than a small fraction
of energy needs. Fission is by far preferable in the foreseeable future.

Wanna see something neat?:
http://www.enviromission.com.au/project/project.htm

Pat

Very interesting.
Thanks for the link
Old May 13th 06, 10:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"jonathan" wrote:

There can be little doubt that the efforts of the US govt
to jump start commercial aviation has changed the
world substantially and for the better.

The military started off by providing the initial technology,
rikkety Jennys, and some daring pilots. But the govt provided
something else far more substantial to creating the
world-changing industry of commercial aviation.

A market! A cargo! The US Airmail.

So....what is the market/cargo for space?

Do keep in mind that the US Gov sponsored the Airmail program for
multiple reasons - of which 'jumpstarting the aviation industry' only
one, if not a side effect.

About those 'side effects'.

If we were to convince the world that the US will someday
become the world's largest energy ....producer....instead of
the largest ...consumer, how will that effect us today???

If I were a corporation and suddenly realized my largest
customer was not only planning to walk, but invent a
product that makes my company obsolete, I might try
to undermine the reasons for that project ASAP.

The only way to do that is for the oil producers to find
a way to lower oil prices and increase supply.

Which would quickly improve our economy and give
us more resources for such long term Visions.

Imagining the future can have dramatic 'side effects'
.....right away.

Oh, and another 'side effect' would be a solution to
that pesky global warming issue.

Oh, and those pesky wars over oil.

Oh, and that dependence on foreign countries
for our way of life, countries that so dearly love us.

Oh, and a renewed purpose and broad support
for Nasa.

Oh, and a new power source for space travel, exploration
and colonization

Oh, and an entire new high tech industry, needing
all kinds of engineers and scientists.

And perhaps the greatest single 'side effect'.

Living every day /now /knowing our future is as bright as the sun.
Instead of assuming, as most do now, that our future is
some version of post-apocalyptic nightmare.

In the real world a proper goal is everything. A goal
that shines generates the enthusiam and discoveries
needed to make it so.

Jonathan

D.

Old May 13th 06, 11:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

jonathan wrote:

"What began as a desire and need to carry mail by air
became today's global system of passenger airlines."
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...rmail/POL6.htm

There can be little doubt that the efforts of the US govt
to jump start commercial aviation has changed the
world substantially and for the better.

The military started off by providing the initial technology,
rikkety Jennys, and some daring pilots. But the govt provided
something else far more substantial to creating the
world-changing industry of commercial aviation.

A market! A cargo! The US Airmail.

So....what is the market/cargo for space?

You mean, like
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/zucocket.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/z/zucux33.jpg ?

Please, give me a huge break.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old May 14th 06, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

A market! A cargo! The US Airmail.

So....what is the market/cargo for space?

That is, of course, the heart of the problem. Where there is a market
- comsats of various kinds - there is substantial investment and
interest; where there isn't one, or where at the very least no one has
thought of one, there's no investment and no interest (in the financial
world).