CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

Old December 25th 04, 06:41 AM
David Majors

In message , OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org writes
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up. Here's the criteria:

1) As we're looking at fictional characters from "real" history, each
Phantom Astronaut must have had his/her/its career rooted in an AH
timeline where history doesn't deviate too drastically. Think how
Baxter's characters in _Voyage_, or Majors Nelson and Healey existed
in a world that wasn't that different from ours.

How about these

From Hugh Walter's "First On The Moon"

"Chris" the British Astronaut
"Morrison Kant" American Astronaut
"Serge Smyslov"

and

From Larry Niven's "Fallen Angels"

Alex MacLeod
Gordon Tanner

Or too far off our timeline?
Old December 25th 04, 11:54 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , David Majors
writes

From Hugh Walter's "First On The Moon"

"Chris" the British Astronaut
"Morrison Kant" American Astronaut
"Serge Smyslov"

I hate to knock Hugh Walters, because he's British :-) but the whole
series has aged terribly.

"First on the Moon" was also titled "Operation Columbus", and I see that
according to http://www.flyingturkeys.com/gsg/gsgwaltershugh.html
"they send British astronaut (the cover of the U. S. paperback edition
calls him "the American") Chris Godfrey to the moon, alone." Hah!

The weakest part of the whole series is that Godfrey then leads
expeditions to all the other planets in the solar system!
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old December 26th 04, 02:46 AM
David Majors

In article , Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

I hate to knock Hugh Walters, because he's British :-) but the whole
series has aged terribly.

"First on the Moon" was also titled "Operation Columbus", and I see that
according to http://www.flyingturkeys.com/gsg/gsgwaltershugh.html
"they send British astronaut (the cover of the U. S. paperback edition
calls him "the American") Chris Godfrey to the moon, alone." Hah!

The weakest part of the whole series is that Godfrey then leads
expeditions to all the other planets in the solar system!

Actually,I agree- fog creatures in Plato,8 foot diameter NOVA etc.,big
bad red commie scum make me wince today.
But I found these exciting when I read them in my early teens.

Besides- to paraphrase another poster-if the guy who finds a bottle
with a genie qualifies...

Dave M.
Old December 26th 04, 06:07 AM
MasterShrink

From Hugh Walter's "First On The Moon"

"Chris" the British Astronaut
"Morrison Kant" American Astronaut
"Serge Smyslov"

and

From Larry Niven's "Fallen Angels"

Alex MacLeod
Gordon Tanner

Or too far off our timeline?

On this subject, anyone ever read a book by Martin Caidin, called "No Man's
World". The book was written before Apollo 11 (maybe even pre-Apollo 1) and is
about an American lunar landing after the Soviets have not only beaten the US
to the moon, but, established a base on the moon, and when the Americans land,
they want them off.

Kinda interesting just because of how many steps above the US, Caidan puts the
Soviets in terms of capabilities and didn't seem to be a fan of the idea of the
Saturn V, and that the Soviets could leapfrog us just using smaller rockets.

Anyway, there are a whole gaggle of fictional astronauts mentioned in there.
The main character (the CDR of the first landing) and his CMP both flew a
fictional Gemini 13. Crews for the first two Saturn V test flights, and an
Apollo 10-esque dress rehersal, and plenty more. Not to mention the Cosmonauts
on the moon....

-A.L.
Old December 26th 04, 10:30 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , David Majors
writes
wrote:

I hate to knock Hugh Walters, because he's British :-) but the whole
series has aged terribly.

"First on the Moon" was also titled "Operation Columbus", and I see that
according to http://www.flyingturkeys.com/gsg/gsgwaltershugh.html
"they send British astronaut (the cover of the U. S. paperback edition
calls him "the American") Chris Godfrey to the moon, alone." Hah!

The weakest part of the whole series is that Godfrey then leads
expeditions to all the other planets in the solar system!

Actually,I agree- fog creatures in Plato,8 foot diameter NOVA etc.,big
bad red commie scum make me wince today.
But I found these exciting when I read them in my early teens.

So did I, but Robert Heinlein's novels haven't aged in the same way
(just an example, aimed at the same audience). I've still got one of
Patrick Moore's novels, and I must get a copy of "Trouble on Titan" to
see if it's still as exciting after 40 years. Come to think of it, this
is the perfect time to do so. We're _going_ there.
Old February 10th 16, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

I read in the novel that McKendrick flew on an early shuttle mission.
Old February 11th 16, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Children of Apollo (Whittington)
Apollo 23
Ray McPherson,CDR
Wendy Pendleton,LMP
Unnamed CMP
Desmond Thomas,XRV pilot
Apollo 19
Unnamed CDR
Ray McPherson,CMP
Unnamed LMP
Commercial space station
George Pierce
Debra Harris
Skylab
6 unnamed astronauts

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Lunar 100 - April S&T phil Amateur Astronomy 39 March 19th 04 01:51 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 07:48 PM