News out of Armstong, another loss

Old January 12th 16, 08:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default News out of Armstong, another loss

Ken Iliff, husband of Mary Shafer, died one week ago:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstron...pioneer-passes

There was significant overlap in careers.

I only knew him through his writing. His book 'From Runway to Orbit' was an excellent read, yet a small fraction of his legacy. The title he picked for his epilogue was Stairway To Heaven (https://books.google.com/books?id=8QLGRq793Y4C&pg=PA339)
One might imagine that this is his current activity.

I hope those close to him are handling the loss ok. Ken and Mary met while at grad school in UCLA right around the peak of the Apollo Program.

His book is about his aerospace career, but he also tells the story of how when the first internet message was sent from UCLA, he was sitting two offices away:

"To me, it seemed like a very peculiar thing to do, breaking up what a computer could do very well by itself into little packets, shipping them to other computers, and having other computers reassemble the packets and do the work." "I've always remembered that event as something I probably should have given a little more attention." (from p115,pdf135of424)

~ CT
Old January 13th 16, 10:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Fred J. McCall is guilty of
as of 1/12/2016 3:06:35 AM
Stuf4 wrote:

[...]

I'm very sorry to hear this. I never knew him, but I definitely
remember (and miss) Mary. My deepest sympathies to the family.

My thoughts, too.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
Old January 19th 16, 04:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 2:25:45 AM UTC-5, Stuf4 wrote:
Ken Iliff, husband of Mary Shafer, died one week ago:

Also sorry to hear this news. My contact with this newsgroup (well maybe it was just sci.space back then) went dark around the time it took off so I never got to know Mary Shafer back in the day. My day pre-dated that day. Before newsgroups got to be so popular and a very early and primitive form of a "social network".

I missed a lot and I could have learned a lot from her posts. My condolences nonetheless.

David Spain

Old February 2nd 16, 08:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Fred J. McCall writes:

I'm very sorry to hear this. I never knew him, but I definitely
remember (and miss) Mary. My deepest sympathies to the family.

Who has been in bad shape herself. She had a failed knee
replacement, and was hospitalized for 10+ months while they
fought a vicious infection of same. Last I heard they were
putting in some very simple knee so she could move at all.

I don't know her status now.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 3rd 16, 11:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

David Lesher formulated the question :
Fred J. McCall writes:

I'm very sorry to hear this. I never knew him, but I definitely
remember (and miss) Mary. My deepest sympathies to the family.

Who has been in bad shape herself. She had a failed knee
replacement, and was hospitalized for 10+ months while they
fought a vicious infection of same. Last I heard they were
putting in some very simple knee so she could move at all.

I don't know her status now.

She posted a simple statement on FB recently, mentioning a "Celebration
of Life" event for Ken.

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Loss Of Hearing, Loss of Memory ,Lose of Touch,Lose of SightSolution MSP G=EMC^2TreBert Misc 9 July 8th 14 10:10 PM
The loss of AM/PM oriel36[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 74 March 13th 12 08:38 PM
EVA toolkit loss Dirk[_3_] Space Shuttle 0 November 21st 08 10:49 PM
weight loss shazza FITS 0 September 27th 03 02:26 PM
NEWS: Marshall director: Center to blame for foam loss Rusty B Space Shuttle 0 August 27th 03 10:09 PM