Why was a sat, lost during Challenger accident?

Old December 18th 12, 08:15 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Why was a sat, lost during Challenger accident?

Were they going to launch it from the Shuttle, I thought by then they had
gone over to rockets?

Of the nine TDRS satellites
launched, seven are still operational, although four are already
beyond their design life. Two have been retired. The second TDRS was
lost in 1986 during the space shuttle Challenger accident.

Maybe my mind is oplaying tricks again.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 18th 12, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.station
Chris Jones

"Brian Gaff" writes:

Were they going to launch it from the Shuttle, I thought by then they had
gone over to rockets?

First, the shuttle qualifies as "rockets".

No, they hadn't switched to expendables yet; the Challenger accident was
the impetus (or the nail in the coffin). Prior to the accident, in
fact, two interplanetary probes (Magellan and Galileo) were scheduled
to be launched on uprated Centaur stages carried into orbit by the
shuttle, something that was massively against NASA safety rules which
applied to everyone but NASA.
Old December 19th 12, 02:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Chuckle ah I see, some engineer somewhere deemed he knew better I suppose.
I've met these, We had one in a firm I worked for who thought situating a
working radar scanner next to the window of the main stars in a building
was safe. Until someone brought a radiation detector there and the field
strength went off the scale every time the scanner pointed in the window.
Needless to say, it was taken to the roof pdq.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active