North or south pole of our galaxy?

Old January 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to sci.astro
berescit

Default North or south pole of our galaxy?

Can you say to me if in such map of milk way it is shown north or
south pole of our galaxy ?

http://anzwers.org/free/universe/milkyway.html

-----
This article posted from the web-interface to the Internet Partners news
server (news.ipinc.net), Portland's full-service business Internet
provider. Check out http://news.ipinc.net/ for free web access to Usenet
news.
Old January 3rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro
Phineas T Puddleduck

In article ,
berescit wrote:

Can you say to me if in such map of milk way it is shown north or
south pole of our galaxy ?

http://anzwers.org/free/universe/milkyway.html

As I said, define North and South for a Galaxy.

--
This space reserved for Jeff Relf's 5-dimensional metric.

Old January 4th 07, 05:50 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
berescit writes:
Can you say to me if in such map of milk way it is shown north or
south pole of our galaxy ?
http://anzwers.org/free/universe/milkyway.html

The near side of the bar is at positive Galactic longitude
(Lopez-Corredoira et al. 2001, A&A, 373, 139). Based on that, the
picture is intended to show the view as seen from the Galactic north
pole. It would take some more work to see whether the picture is
correct or not; the arm positions and labels don't look quite right
to me, but as I say, I haven't checked in detail. In any case, the
picture is somewhat idealized though probably correct in overall
concept.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA