astronomy in los angeles

Old June 23rd 03, 08:36 AM
wang

Default astronomy in los angeles

I am very new to astronomy, brought in by a fathers day gift telescope. I'd
like to hear from other telescope users in Los Angeles County where some of
the best telescope sites are. Maybe someone can recommend a website where I
can join with others in the Los Angeles telescoping community.

Thanks

Old June 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
Starlord

Don't STOP in Palmdale, it's nothing more than a little verson of L.A., from
within Palmdale you can't see anymore, BUT, if you go more towards the North,
(you can't get on Edwards), you can find some awsome places. Myself I live in a
trailer park just over the county line and have better skys, and I know of a
place up off of a back road that's not bad either.

In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and
along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"DrStoney42" wrote in message
I am very new to astronomy, brought in by a fathers day gift telescope. I'd
like to hear from other telescope users in Los Angeles County where some of
the best telescope sites are. Maybe someone can recommend a website where I
can join with others in the Los Angeles telescoping community.

Thanks

Hello,

I asked this same question in here the other day and got a bit more input,

one
was a website www.laas.org ... I'm from Portland, OR but I am staying here in
LA for quite some time and so I brought my cheap little 60mm refractor with me
for some sight seeing... I don't have a car at my dissposal but if you do I'd
be willing to pay for gas so we could go hit the Mojave and see some stars..
From what I've learned Palmdale is the nearest light/smog free area for it,
Edwards AFB is supposed to be pretty good to (but I guess that IS in the High
Mojave isnt it?)... regardless where we'd decide to go feel free to email me
with your phone number and some dates youd like to go if your interested...

Later

---

Old June 24th 03, 04:20 PM
Starlord

canyons ? I never said anything about them, and there's none out here either.
Out here I have an almost unblocked view west to east, north to south with a few
hills to the north.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and
along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"aguy" wrote in message
. com...
You are correct about canyons being darker, Bouquet Canyon for instance, but
better sky light conditions exist with in the depths of the Los Padre Forest
davev

---