Daily 3608

Old May 10th 04, 09:41 PM
Edward Ruitberg

Default Daily 3608

DAILY REPORT # 3608

PERIOD COVERED: DOYs 128-130

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC3 9999

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey NICMOS Parallels

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey NICMOS Parallels. This program is a
companion to program 9822.

NIC2 9856

A near-IR imaging survey of submm galaxies with spectroscopic redshifts

Submillimeter {submm} surveys with SCUBA have identified a population
of obscured star-forming and active galaxies at high redshift. Our
recent spectroscopic campaigns with the Keck-10m telescope have
uncovered redshifts for 37 SCUBA galaxies. The wide redshift range of
the radio identified submm population {z=1-4} implies that many
varieties of sources driven by different physical processes may be
selected in a submm survey. We propose to use HST-NICMOS, ACS to
obtain 2-filter images of a sample of 15 SCUBA galaxies with redshifts
spanning z=0.8-3.5. Our goal is to understand what physical process
{major mergers?} drive their strong evolution and great luminosities,
and what the implications are for galaxy evolution models.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 9822

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey

We will undertake a 2 square degree imaging survey {Cosmic Evolution
Survey -- COSMOS} with ACS in the I {F814W} band of the VIMOS
equatorial field. This wide field survey is essential to understand
the interplay between Large Scale Structure {LSS} evolution and the
formation of galaxies, dark matter and AGNs and is the one region of
parameter space completely unexplored at present by HST. The
equatorial field was selected for its accessibility to all
ground-based telescopes and low IR background and because it will
eventually contain ~100, 000 galaxy spectra from the VLT-VIMOS
instrument. The imaging will detect over 2 million objects with I 27
mag {AB, 10 sigma}, over 35, 000 Lyman Break Galaxies {LBGs} and
extremely red galaxies out to z ~ 5. COSMOS is the only HST project
specifically designed to probe the formation and evolution of
structures ranging from galaxies up to Coma-size clusters in the epoch
of peak galaxy, AGN, star and cluster formation {z ~0.5 to 3}. The
size of the largest structures necessitate the 2 degree field. Our
team is committed to the assembly of several public ancillary datasets
including the optical spectra, deep XMM and VLA imaging, ground-based
optical/IR imaging, UV imaging from GALEX and IR data from SIRTF.
Combining the full-spectrum multiwavelength imaging and spectroscopic
coverage with ACS sub-kpc resolution, COSMOS will be Hubble's ultimate
legacy for understanding the evolution of both the visible and dark
universe.

STIS 9786

The Next Generation Spectral Library

We propose to continue the Cycle 10 snapshot program to produce a Next
Generation Spectral Library of 600 stars for use in modeling the
integrated light of galaxies and clusters. This program is using the
low dispersion UV and optical gratings of STIS. The library will be
roughly equally divided among four metallicities, very low {[Fe/H] lt
-1.5}, low {[Fe/H] -1.5 to -0.5}, near-solar {[Fe/H] -0.3 to 0.1}, and
super-solar {[Fe/H] gt 0.2}, well-sampling the entire HR-diagram in
each bin. Such a library will surpass all extant compilations and have
lasting archival value, well into the Next Generation Space Telescope
era. Because of the universal utility and community-broad nature of
this venture, we waive the entire proprietary period.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 9723

Deep NICMOS imaging

We have obtained ultra-deep Js, H, Ks imaging of the Hubble Deep Field
South WFPC2 field with the VLT, in order to study high redshift
galaxies. The Ks-band data are the deepest obtained to date in any
field. We find that the population of Ks selected galaxies at z=2-4 in
HDF-South differs in two important aspects from previous studies in
HDF-North. First, we find several galaxies which are large and
apparently regular in the rest-frame optical, with more complex rest-
frame UV morphologies. These objects resemble large disk galaxies in
the local Universe. Second, we have identified a population of
galaxies with red J-K colors that are extremely faint in the
rest-frame UV. The galaxies have ages of 0.5-2 Gyr and are highly
clustered, and may be progenitors of nearby bulges and early-type
galaxies. We propose to obtain a deep mosaic with the NICMOS/NIC3
camera in the H band, covering the WFPC2 field. The increased depth
and spatial resolution of the NICMOS mosaic would allow us to
determine the restframe optical morphologies of a large sample of high
redshift galaxies, in order to study the relative distributions of
young and old stars, to decompose the galaxies in bulges and disks, to
measure scale lengths, and to model the stellar populations of the
sub-components. The lack of large U- dropouts and red galaxies in
HDF-North, and the need for larger samples call for the proposed
imaging of HDF-South. We waive all prioprietary rights.

ACS 9476

Galaxy Evolution in the Richest Clusters at z=0.8: the EDisCS Cluster
Sample

The study of distant cluster galaxies requires two key ingredients:
{1} deep high-resolution imaging, to constrain galaxy structure; and
{2} 8m-class spectroscopy, to measure stellar content, star-formation
rates, dynamics, and cluster membership. We will reach both conditions
with the addition of HST/ACS imaging to our suite of VLT {36 nights}
and NTT {20 nights} observations of 10 confirmed clusters at z~0.8,
drawn from the ESO Distant Cluster Survey {EDisCS}. The proposed
HST/ACS data will complement our existing optical/IR imaging and
spectroscopy with quantitative measures of cluster galaxy morphologies
{i.e. sizes and shapes, bulge-disk decompositions, asymmetry
parameters}, and with measurements of cluster masses via weak lensing.
Major advantages unique to the EDisCS project include: {i} uniform
selection of clusters; {ii} large enough sample sizes to characterize
the substantial cluster-to-cluster variation in galaxy populations;
{iii} large quantities of high quality data from 8m telescopes; {iv}
uniform measurements of morphologies, spectroscopic and photometric
redshifts, SEDs, star-formation/AGN activities, and internal
kinematics; {v} optical selection of clusters to complement the X-ray
selection of almost all high-z clusters in the ACS GTO programs; {vi}
forefront numerical simulations designed specifically to allow
physical interpretation of observed differences between the high-z and
local clusters.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

ACS/HRC 10115

Rotation of Comet Tempel 1

We propose to accurately determine the rotational period of comet
Tempel 1. This is crucial for enabling all of the science associated
with the Deep Impact mission. It will also, in combination with
ground-based data already on hand and images to be obtained from Deep
Impact, provide the best dataset ever for investigating whether
excited state rotation exists in any comet other than Halley.

WFPC2 10070

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 2/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10060

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC 10050

ACS Earth Flats

High signal sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth
with the HRC and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the
accuracy of the flats currently used by the pipeline and will provide
a comparison with flats derived via other techniques: L-flats from
stellar observations, sky flats from stacked GO observations, and
internal flats using the calibration lamps. Weekly coronographic
monitoring is required to assess the changing position of the spots.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

ACS/HRC 10008

The Supersoft Source 1E1339.8+2837 and Globular Cluster M3

We propose two HST orbits, nearly simultaneous with our approved
Chandra Cycle 5 program, to study the supersoft source 1E1339.8+2837
and other accreting binaries in the globular cluster M3. Using the
ACS/HRC, we will obtain excellent photometry on the recently
identified optical counterpart of 1E1339.8+2837 in the F220W, F250W
and F330W bands. Using the ACS/WFC, we will survey M3's central
regions in B, V, and I to identify counterparts to other Chandra
sources, and also obtain excellent B, V, and I photometry of the
supersoft source.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTAR 9410: GS Acquisition (3,2,3) @ 129/23:08:30Z failed to FL
backup on FGS 3 after a QF2STOPF (FGS 2 Stop Flag) was received @
129/23:12:31Z. There were no Scan Step or Search Radius Limit flags
during this failure, but F2SCEA did break limits from 129/23:12:20Z to
23:12:21Z with a maximum values of 10.16.

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq 36 36
FGS REacq 07 07
FHST Update 80 80