Daily #4011

Old December 20th 05, 01:40 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble

Default Daily #4011

DAILY REPORT #4011

PERIOD COVERED: UT December 19, 2005 (DOY 353)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC 10516

Host Galaxies of Reverberation-Mapped AGNs

We propose to obtain unsaturated ACS high-resolution images of four
reverberation-mapped active galactic nuclei in order to remove the
point-like nuclear light from each image, thus yielding a
"nucleus-free" image of the host galaxy. This will allow investigation
of host galaxy properties: our particular interest is determination of
the host-galaxy starlight contribution to the reverberation-mapping
observations. This is necessary {1} for accurate determination of the
relationship between the AGN nuclear continuum flux and the size of
the broad Balmer-line emitting regions of AGNs, which is important
because this relationship is used in estimating black hole masses for
large samples of QSOs, and {2} for accurate determination of the
bolometric luminosity of the AGN proper. In a Cycle 12 SNAP program,
we obtained images of 14 of the 36 reverberation-mapped AGNs for this
purpose. This additional request is to complete this program through
observations of the four important remaining sources.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10729

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period Oct, 2 2005- May, 29-2006. The
second half of the program has a different proposal number: 10758.

ACS/WFC 10582

Probing The Galaxy-wide Globular Cluster - Low Mass X-ray Binary
Connection in Early-type Galaxies

The combination of high-resolution imaging from Hubble {HST} and
Chandra {CXO} has completely revolutionized our understanding of
extragalactic low-mass X-ray binaries {LMXBs} and globular clusters
{GCs}; however, studies have been limited by short X-ray exposures and
relatively small fields. NGC 4697 amd NGC 4365 are relatively simple
elliptical galaxies in the X- ray that will have deep CXO
observations. We propose ACS observations in six flanking fields per
galaxy to provide a study of the GC-LMXB connection in normal
early-type galaxies with unprecedented depth, spatial resolution and
areal coverage. Combined with existing central field observations, we
will detect ~900 and ~2700 GCs GCs in most of NGC 4697 and all of NGC
4365. These two galaxies will have the greatest number of detected
GC-LMXBs to date {~70 & 120}. We will measure the fraction of LMXBs
found in GCs, and the fraction of GCs which contain LMXBs, as a
function of X-ray luminosity, galactocentric distance, color, GC
half-light radius, and local GC specific frequency. We will test
existing models of GC formation/evolution and LMXB
formation/evolution. Using the radial profile of optical light, GCs,
and LMXBS, we will determine the percentage of field LMXBs which may
have originated in GCs.

ACS/WFC/NIC3/WFPC2 10530

Probing Evolution And Reionization Spectroscopically {PEARS}

While imaging with HST has gone deep enough to probe the highest
redshifts, e.g. the GOODS survey and the Ultra Deep Field,
spectroscopic identifications have not kept up. We propose an ACS
grism survey to get slitless spectra of all sources in a wide survey
region {8 ACS fields} up to z =27.0 magnitude, and an ultradeep field
in the HUDF reaching sources up to z =28 magnitude. The PEARS survey
will: {1} Find and spectrocopically confirm all galaxies between
z=4-7. {2} Probe the reionization epoch by robustly determining the
luminosity function of galaxies and low luminosity AGNs at z = 4 - 6.
With known redshifts, we can get a local measure of star formation and
ionization rate in case reionization is inhomogeneous. {3} Study
galaxy formation and evolution by finding galaxies in a contiguous
redshift range between 4 z 7, and black hole evolution through a
census of low-luminosity AGNs. {4} Get a robust census of galaxies
with old stellar populations at 1 z 2.5, invaluable for checking
consistency with heirarchical models of galaxy formation. Fitting
these galaxies' spectra will yield age and metallicity estimates. {5}
Study star-formation and galaxy assembly at its peak at 1 z 2 by
identifying emission lines in star-forming galaxies, old populations
showing the 4000A break, and any combination of the two. {6} Constrain
faint white dwarfs in the Galactic halo and thus measure their
contribution to the dark matter halo. {7} Derive spectro-photometric
redshifts by using the grism spectra along with broadband data. This
will be the deepest unbiased spectroscopy yet, and will enhance the
value of the multiwavelength data in UDF and the GOODS fields to the
astronomical community. To this end we will deliver reduced spectra to
the HST archives.

NIC3/ACS/WFC 10504

Characterizing the Sources Responsible for Cosmic Reionization

Our group has demonstrated the role that massive clusters, acting as
powerful cosmic lenses, can play in constraining the abundance and
properties of low-luminosity star-forming sources beyond z~6; such
sources are thought to be responsible for ending cosmic reionization.
The large magnification possible in the critical regions of
well-constrained clusters brings sources into view that lie at or
beyond the limits of conventional exposures such as the UDF, as well
as those in imaging surveys being undertaken with IRAC onboard
Spitzer. We have shown that the combination of HST and Spitzer is
particularly effective in delivering the physical properties of these
distant sources, constraining their mass, age and past star formation
history. Indirectly, we therefore gain a valuable glimpse to yet
earlier epochs. Recognizing the result {and limitations} of the UDF
exposure, we propose a systematic search through 6 lensing clusters
with ACS and NICMOS for further z~6-7 sources in conjunction with
existing deep IRAC data. Our survey will mitigate cosmic variance and
extend the search both to lower luminosities and, by virtue of the
NICMOS/IRAC combination, to higher redshift. The goal is to count and
characterize representative sources at z~6-10 and to delineate the
redshift range of activity for the planning of future observations.

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 10748

WFPC2 CYCLE 14 Standard Darks

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

10058 - Guide Star Acquisition Results in Fine Lock Back-up @
354/05:47:00z GSacq(2,3,2) at 354/05:47:00 results in Fine Lock
Back-up on FGS3 due to Scan Step Limit Exceeded on FGS2. Previous OBAD
was successful with minimal RSS error of 9.97 arc seconds. ACS
observations #s 39 and 40 may be affected.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSacq 09 09