Horizon Thursday 9th Feb 2100-2150 UT BBC2

Old February 8th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Horizon Thursday 9th Feb 2100-2150 UT BBC2

pasted from the BBC web site:

Most of Our Universe Is Missing
Horizon discovers that 96% of the universe is missing. Only a tiny 4%
of the universe is made of stuff we understand. Some scientists claim
they know what the rest is, but others insist that nothing's missing
at all, and that the real problem is far, far worse. They say that
Newton, gravity and science itself is wrong, and needs to be
re-written.
Dark matter, dark energy and variable gravity are put under the
spotlight, as the world's leading cosmologists attempt to explain the
biggest problem in science today.

[I hesitate to post this programme's details because Horizon seems to
have gone downhill badly recently, but you never know].
- Mike
Old February 8th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

If they are looking for missing mass they are just extending Newtonian
principles to the cosmos on a galactic scale .

If they were actually interested on Newtonian misjudgements in his
astronomical format they need go no further than his solution for
retrogrades.

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct,
sometimes stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun
they are always seen direct.."

http://members.tripod.com/~gravitee/phaenomena.htm

After that the story gets really interesting but it is only for those
who have an astronomical fluency exceeding the pulp fiction of
cataloguers.

Good to see a slight hint of desperation and insofar as Newtonian
maneuvering is indeed awful,he was consistent in his errors making it
fairly easy to correct.I imagine it would take a decade with a
concerted effort to restore some stability to astronomy as a point of
departure for real productive avenues.

Old February 9th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On 8 Feb 2006 10:38:31 -0800, "oriel36"
wrote:

[...]

and the fruitcake pops up again
Old February 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Mike Murphy evmurph.zetnet@co@uk wrote in
:

pasted from the BBC web site:

Most of Our Universe Is Missing
Horizon discovers that 96% of the universe is missing. Only a tiny 4%
of the universe is made of stuff we understand. Some scientists claim
they know what the rest is, but others insist that nothing's missing
at all, and that the real problem is far, far worse. They say that
Newton, gravity and science itself is wrong, and needs to be
re-written.

The only serious idea I have seen along these lines was the "MOND" theory,
which as far as I can tell is fairly well debunked. The conventional
hypothesis of dark matter is introduced to make sense of the observed
orbits of stars in galaxies and also the motion of galaxies within
clusters. Dark energy is introduced to explain what is observed at
cosmological scales. I'm not sure which article you were looking at but
this one I found on the BBC site has some interesting stuff about dark
matter.

Note that the findings have not yet been peer reviewed.

Klazmon.

Old February 9th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

When you do look at the program and its phony concern ,you can take
comfort that a basic geometric error exists at the foundation of
Newton's ballistic agenda applied to planetary motion -

http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615477...real_Time.html

Newton was at least interesting in his maneuvering,wrong though it
remains ,however nothing is as dull and dreary as those who circle the
errors without the competence or capacity to deal with them.

I am always busy in other matters to sit down and do a full scale
treatment of what Newton did right and did wrong for it is now easier
to promote the Copernican insight and its Keplerian refinement without
appealing to the Newtonian quasi-geocentric view.As the opportunity is
beginning to open up where optical astronomers and theorists and their
phony concerns can be circumvented who needs to listen to another
documentary about theorists being wrong.