APOD today

Old December 7th 04, 02:47 PM
Jim

Default APOD today

Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
"Brace yourself, this might make your eyes water."
Old December 7th 04, 02:55 PM
Jim

In article , Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Jim

Bother - sorry, didn't see the other thread.

I shall pour custard in my Europa 250 in shame.

Jim
Old December 7th 04, 03:07 PM
Jim

In article , Pete Lawrence wrote:
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:55:55 +0000, Jim wrote:

In article , Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Jim

Bother - sorry, didn't see the other thread.

I shall pour custard in my Europa 250 in shame.

Dampens vibrations nicely. Although it's a trifle extreme...

That...that was dreadful.

I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

Nice comet piccy by the way...

Jim
Old December 7th 04, 03:12 PM
Pete Lawrence

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old December 7th 04, 03:48 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old December 7th 04, 04:00 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:48:53 +0100, "Carsten A. Arnholm"
wrote:

Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Now that's interesting. Are you looking at it from the other
direction - i.e. going out rather than in?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old December 7th 04, 04:04 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

wrote:

Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Now that's interesting. Are you looking at it from the other
direction - i.e. going out rather than in?

"Meteor experts don't think it's a meteor. Atmospheric scientists don't
think it's lightning. The photographer insists that the streak and flash on
the above image has not been created digitally."

This is all consistent with a small rocket going out, isn't it. From the
picture it looks like a real possibility to me....

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old December 7th 04, 04:17 PM
Pete Lawrence

wrote:

Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Now that's interesting. Are you looking at it from the other
direction - i.e. going out rather than in?

"Meteor experts don't think it's a meteor. Atmospheric scientists don't
think it's lightning. The photographer insists that the streak and flash on
the above image has not been created digitally."

This is all consistent with a small rocket going out, isn't it. From the
picture it looks like a real possibility to me....

I had assumed it was coming in rather than going out. I think most
others had thought that too. You obviously have a brain that sees
things more logically than me. I think this is a good explanation
Carsten.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old December 7th 04, 04:30 PM
Tim Auton

"Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote:
Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Or, as it's by the sea, a flare. The local costguard should know if
they fired a test. There does appear to be some kind of platform at
approximately right angles to the track on the pier.

Tim
--
Foo.
Old December 7th 04, 09:46 PM
J.Hill

"Tim Auton" wrote in message
"Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote:
Jim wrote:
Anyone got any ideas about that picture? Odd one to be sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

He just fired a small fireworks rocket?

Or, as it's by the sea, a flare. The local costguard should know if
they fired a test. There does appear to be some kind of platform at
approximately right angles to the track on the pier.

Tim
--
Foo.

My first impression was of the "lightning rocket" tests engineers do where I
believe they fire a rocket into storm clouds trailing a wire.

Cheers,
Jim